ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How much trouble is a 64-bit OS right now?

<< < (7/11) > >>

Darwin:
urlwolf - live with 64-bit Vista is just fine, in my experience. My two-bits is go with either Vista or with XP - who knows what Windows 7 will wind up looking like?

MilesAhead:
urlwolf - live with 64-bit Vista is just fine, in my experience. My two-bits is go with either Vista or with XP - who knows what Windows 7 will wind up looking like?
-Darwin (February 06, 2009, 07:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yup.  And even little things you take for granted, like printing to a USB printer might not work.  I tried 32 bit W7 and it didn't like serving the driver of my USB printer over the Lan.  Plus when you see raves about W7 you have to remember the beta everyone is playing with is the Ultimate edition.

Whenever I decided I was going to install some Linux distro I always tried to find a hardware compatibility list to make life easier.  Same idea might be good with Windows OS.  Make sure you can get drivers for what you are likely to use.  Google around to see if there's widespread problems with that stuff even if there are drivers.

OldElmerFudd:
I've stayed clear of 64-bit mostly because of peripherals and software. I use high end scanners and printers for graphics work, and while they're in good shape I won't be trading up(?) to Vista or Win7 anytime soon. Same thing with my favorite software, like Photoshop 7.
I have CS3 for tethered studio shooting, but I do most of my work in PS7 or Painter IX.5. Until I need to do some serious hardware replacement/upgrade, I'll stay with XP Pro. After all, I already went through the business of getting everything stabilized with Service Pack 3!

urlwolf:
We have a sysadmin at work and he's leaning towards Win 7.
He would have to deal with printer driver problems if there are any.
Other than that, I don't have high requirements for hardware.

I'm thinking win 7 could be the best solution here too.

urlwolf:
anyone wants to stops me before I make win 7 beta my main OS for the rest of the year :)?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version