ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How much trouble is a 64-bit OS right now?

<< < (6/11) > >>

Darwin:
I've given up trying to give advice.  People have their habits and emotions locked in.  -MilesAhead (February 05, 2009, 12:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sound... er, advice  :) I should have known better before going with him to buy the computer, but I am an eternal optimist and thought that years of my having generally been proven right where disagreements over computer issues had "sunk in". WRONG!

When he asked me last night about downgrading to XP I just told him that I'd forward some Vista tweaking links to him and that if he did downgrade to XP, to be sure to buy a 64-bit copy and left it at that. I'm pretty sure that he'll be installing a cracked 32-bit version, but at least I tried...

40hz:
[... but I am an eternal optimist and thought that years of my having generally been proven right where disagreements over computer issues had "sunk in"-Darwin (February 05, 2009, 01:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

First mistake...

at least I tried...

--- End quote ---

Second mistake... ;)

Darwin:
Yup live and learn. Or, in my case, not...  :huh:

urlwolf:
So it's still unclear to me how life under win 64 is.
Some people report no problems, some report lots.
In any case, which version (XP, vista, win 7 beta) do you recommend? This is a production machine, but the reports that the beta is solid seem encouraging.
And if I have to reinstall win 7 in aug, that's a small price to pay IF everything else is better.

justice:
Let's generalize / apply common sense:
XP 64 was launched at a time when 64bit computing was much less common place and was launched some time after 32bit as a seperate product thereforce had less limelight and popularity than the other two alternatives.
Windows 7 isn't even to release candidate status yet and the majority of software especially from indies will not have been tested for it.

Therefore the natural choice is to go with the current OS Vista 64bit to get the best result.With windows 7 coming people will probably focus on compatibility issues of that over fixing XP 64 bit. So W7 would be the second choice - but I thought the reason for this thread is that you want a smooth ride - therefore I'd only go for 64bit Vista or a 32bit alternative at this moment on a production machine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version