ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How much trouble is a 64-bit OS right now?

<< < (5/11) > >>

Darwin:
[*Barely* on topic - I mention 64-bit a number of times] Funny, I went along with a friend while he purchased a Vista Home Premium-64 SP-1 notebook for his wife last week (T3200 2.0 Ghz, 4GB RAM, 5400 rpm 320GB drive). I was taken along to provide advice and insight, which was completely ignored... At any rate, she despises Vista - last night she was heaping vitriol on it because she claims it runs slower on this new machine than XP Home did on the single core (1.73 Ghz, 1GB RAM) notebook it is intended to replace.

I haven't been near the thing, but I find this very hard to believe. I suspect that this is a case of two years of negative press getting in the way of objectivity. Kind of pisses me off. When we bought the damned thing her husband insisted on going 64-bit and 4GB RAM (a similar model with 32-bit and 3GB of RAM was about $80 cheaper) over my objections that there ARE issues with Security software not running under 64-bit (and I knew that he wanted to run SpyDoctor as he has a licence for it and is very stingy), that she would never notice the difference between 3 and 4 GB RAM, given that all she uses it for is webrowsing, e-mail, and word processing. But no, he wanted to "future proof" his investment and go 64-bit. At any rate, sure enough SpyDoctor won't run under 64-bit and now they're lamenting Vista and want to put XP on it. I'm telling them to get rid of the crapware and let me direct them to some tweaking tips (Ed Bott and others), but they're pretty insistent... Note that they're considering installing 32-bit XP on it. There are so many opportunities for "I told you so's" at so many levels here that my head is spinning  ;D  [/*Barely* on topic - I mention 64-bit a number of times]

f0dder:
Fools :)

Darwin:
Fools :)
-f0dder (February 05, 2009, 10:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

Knee-jerk reactionary fools!

40hz:
These are friends?

MilesAhead:
Older USB devices where they provide the driver on CD instead of hotplug seems to be the only real issue I've run into, other than cleaning off preinstalled crap.

This little 2 PC setup I have works out pretty well because stuff I can't use on the new PC I can keep running on the old machine until the software is updated or I find new freeware that does the same thing.

I've given up trying to give advice.  People have their habits and emotions locked in.  One guy asked me to take a look at his PC.  He started the thing up and windows and dialog boxes were jumping around all over the place.  I asked when was the last time he updated his anti-virus database. He replied, "it came with anti-virus, I don't have to do anything."  I think he had the machine for about 4 years at least. That was the end of that diagnostic session.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version