ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How much trouble is a 64-bit OS right now?

<< < (3/11) > >>

housetier:
Here is a FAQ that also covers Flash in 64 bit, so it would seem there IS indeed a 64 bit version.

In general, I had no problems using a 64bit linux; for greater stability I used a 32bit firefox, because the 64bit version of flash is not very stable atm. Firefox in 32bit runs very well on my 64bit system.

I only recently became aware I was using a 32bit firefox before, because my self compiled version is of course in 64bit where the 32bit flash plugin no longer loads.

(bloody flash)

40hz:
However, there seems to be some Linux versions running 64-bits fine:
-Curt (February 03, 2009, 06:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't trying to infer that Linux-64 is broken. I agree that many 64-bit Lunux distros work quite well. Suse has a particularly nice 64-bit implementation.

What I was trying to say is that (largely due to a variety of reasons that go beyond the 64-bit kernal itself) the expected performance gains just aren't there. And if you add in the current compatibility and driver issues that go with running a 64-bit NIX kernal, it's just not worth it right now.

I tend to look at 64-bit distros as something akin to today's crop of hybrid cars: they're fun; they're really cool; they point to where we ultimately need to go...but they're not quite ready for prime time. :(

Maybe next year. (fingers crossed) 8)

MilesAhead:
I've only been on Vista64 a few days.  Like the 32 bit it runs the HD more than XP.  Takes awhile to tone down the services and scheduled tasks, indexing etc..

afa the 32 bit shell extensions, you can use a 32 bit file manager like Free Commander, or open 32 bit shell windows.  I have an AutoHotkey freebie that opens selected folders in 32 bit explorer windows to make using shell extensions more convenient:
http://www.favessoft.com/HalfShell.zip

Just select and hit Shift-Enter

So far it seems like I've run into a lot fewer compatibility problems with this than when I got Vista 32 bit in April 2007.  I think compatible stuff is going to flow because all the new PCs over $500 are going to come with 4 GB ram minimum.

zridling:
Silly question: why wouldn't you want to use a 64-bit OS with 64-bit CPU? Been running both Fedora and openSUSE 64-bit for months, without a hitch.

f0dder:
Silly question: why wouldn't you want to use a 64-bit OS with 64-bit CPU? Been running both Fedora and openSUSE 64-bit for months, without a hitch.-zridling (February 04, 2009, 09:59 AM)
--- End quote ---
If you don't have >3GB RAM and you don't have any apps that can take advantage of x64 (just having x64 version != taking advantage of x64) then there might not be much reason to go 64bit, especially if you risk driver problems or whatever.

One extra advantage x64 has is that a lot of vulnerabilities are 32-bit specific, and 64bit Windows also has the PatchGuard stuff which helps a bit more. Doesn't mean you're immune, though, especially not when still running 32bit software :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version