ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Make Firefox 3 load faster

<< < (14/14)

MilesAhead:
I guess this tweak isn't for me. I normally open FirefoxPortable with 25+ tabs minimum.
-Paul Keith (March 31, 2009, 06:22 PM)
--- End quote ---
Whoa!! That's some heavy tabbing.  What I'm still trying to find out is why it's written in stone that the back button has to reload the page.  I don't fathom what the cache is there for if you can't reload stuff you just downloaded 3 seconds ago when you hit the back button.  Very strange design.

rgdot:

Whoa!! That's some heavy tabbing.  What I'm still trying to find out is why it's written in stone that the back button has to reload the page.  I don't fathom what the cache is there for if you can't reload stuff you just downloaded 3 seconds ago when you hit the back button.  Very strange design.

-MilesAhead (April 01, 2009, 02:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

That debate or question has been asked on mozillazine and other related places for years, going back to the mozilla days. Never understood it.

Paul Keith:
I guess this tweak isn't for me. I normally open FirefoxPortable with 25+ tabs minimum.
-Paul Keith (March 31, 2009, 06:22 PM)
--- End quote ---
Whoa!! That's some heavy tabbing.  What I'm still trying to find out is why it's written in stone that the back button has to reload the page.  I don't fathom what the cache is there for if you can't reload stuff you just downloaded 3 seconds ago when you hit the back button.  Very strange design.-MilesAhead (April 01, 2009, 02:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nah, that is the minimum tabs I allow FF to have or else my PC isn't powerful enough to not totally slow a Java App when I have it alongside me. The larger tab collections I move towards Opera and Chrome.

On the plus side for having more tabs, I'm not irked by the back button as much because I rarely have a page I need to constantly sift back and forth to on Firefox. On the downside Firefox still slows down when a new page isn't finished loading especially at startup.

Also Opera is better for this purpose because due to it's speed and keyboard shortcuts, you just press z or x unless the newer versions change it again. In that case you just reset it back to the old settings.

Then they also have linked tabs which is a tab especially set to open a link in a new tab but is directly connected to the old tab.

Combined with the 1 and 2 hotkey for moving through tabs and the multiple ways to reorganize and shift through tabs, the only annoying part is having an Ajax Web 2.0 app like Remember the Milk hijack the hotkeys and needing to right click open in Firefox or just copy paste the url.

(Right clicking requires more configuration if Opera doesn't detect a portable browers like FirefoxPortable but Opera  has a context menu for copying the address so you don't need to highlight the address bar)

MilesAhead:

-MilesAhead (April 01, 2009, 02:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

That debate or question has been asked on mozillazine and other related places for years, going back to the mozilla days. Never understood it.
-rgdot (April 01, 2009, 02:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

It is really weird.  If you get into it all you get back is something along the lines that it's so hard-wired into the browser that it will never be undone as it would break too much code or something.  Sounds really bizarre to me.

MilesAhead:
... about tabs ...
-Paul Keith (April 01, 2009, 03:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wow!! iirc the most insane(or useful I guess depending on your perspective) plugins for Maxthon were tab related(makes me think of that movie "Gang Related" with Jim Belushi) as people there really get into big time too.  Me, the most rambunctious I get is I have a folder with 3 bookmarks and I open all in tabs, first thing on startup.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version