ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Make Firefox 3 load faster

<< < (13/14) > >>

edbro:
No, I installed Portable FF but replaced the generic profile with my current profile. So, it was an apples to apples comparison.

I ran with it for a while but honestly, I couldn't notice much of a difference.

f0dder:
OK.

Can't say I get a huge improvement here, but it's noticeable - YMMV. urlclassifier3.sqlite and places.sqlite are both ~23MB, and I used the SQLite VACUUM on both a couple of weeks ago.

gpetrant:
You can place a Sandboxie container on the ramdisk that will allow you to run FF in a sandox.

Personally, I take a different route. I use Returnil so that my entire system drive is effectively sandboxed. Same concept as the ramdisk - turn the machine off and you are right back to where you started from.

You have convinced me. I think I will try the portable FF on the ramdisk instead of just the profile. I just need to manually turn on the cache that the Portable FF turns off by default.
-edbro (March 31, 2009, 01:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the suggestions, edbro.  I've read very positive reviews of both products, but never thought of trying sandboxie in a ramdisk. 

Also didn't know portable FF turns off caching by default.  I think mine is caching (it has a cache folder which grows and shrinks over time).  How do you enable it, if it isn't?

This ram disk looks kind of good. Any opinions favourable or not?
-dantheman (March 31, 2009, 03:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

I did try the freebie from QSoft.  It's a basic ramdisk driver with a GUI.  You install it as you would any driver.  It does have an imaging component, but I couldn't get to work for me.  Although free, I prefer the commercial products for their flexibility, ease of use, and overall polish.

If money were no object, I'd probably either go for the RamDisk or RamDisk Plus from SuperSpeed, or DiskBoost from Everstrike. 

The difference?  RamDisk Plus and DiskBoost are much more flexible and have more features (i.e. you can create more than one ramdisk at a time, encrypt ramdisk content, password protect image files, etc.)

For a simple single ramdisk, FarStone is my choice. 

RamDisk and RamDisk Plus:  http://www.superspeed.com/desktop/ramdisk.php
DiskBoost:  http://www.everstrike.com/ramdisk/

edbro:
From the Portable Apps site:
Disable Cache - Cache is disabled by default because on most drives, cache will actually slow Firefox Portable down. If you've copied in a local profile or enabled it, you can disable it within the Options window.
--- End quote ---

They disable it to prevent the constant read/writes on a USB drive. USB drives have a limited number of r/w's.

I think I remember being able to set the cache during the install. In any case, it appears that if you copy in your own profile like I did, then the caching setting will go with it.

gpetrant:
Thanks.   :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version