ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Make Firefox 3 load faster

<< < (8/14) > >>

dantheman:
Getting some good tips here.

"À tout malheur quelque chose de bon!"

Anyway, i was up to 1,700 bookmarks!
This was due in good part to using Diigo which allows you to save to Firefox as well.
Disabled that option and did some early Spring cleaning, now i'm down to about 1,250.

Already, i've noticed that FF has a preppier startup but boy! Is page rendering ever fast in latest 3.0.6 build!   :Thmbsup:

MilesAhead:
Don't need minimize to tray anymore!  ;D
-dantheman (February 12, 2009, 07:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

I tried FF Minimize to tray but it acted a bit funny.  Now I use a general purpose AutoIt3 freebie called WinTray.  If you hold down Shift while clicking the minimize button it minimizes just about any app main window to tray.

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=85841&hl=WinTray

I'm still using v 1.0.  I guess he's up to 1.6 now but you can also download source for it somewhere it that thread.

cyberdiva:
I'm really interested in the claims made by stoobee, AndyM, dantheman, and others about Firefox 3 loading in under 10 seconds.  Are you talking about the first time you start FF after you've booted up your computer?  It takes more than a minute on my computer (which admittedly is almost three years old.  The computer is running WinXP Pro, has a 3.20 GHz Pentium 4 processor, 1 GB RAM, and plenty of free space on the hard drive.)  Currently, I've got FF 3.0.8 with about 20 add-ons.  After the first time, FF tends to start up pretty quickly, but the first time is absurdly long, especially in comparison to Opera 9.64, which starts up in about 5 seconds even the first time I run it.  At times, Firefox is also pretty sluggish if I close it down and don't use it for an hour or so.  I've gotten so frustrated with it that I've thought about going back to Opera as my default browser, and just using Firefox when I can't use Opera (e.g., when using WebResearch).  I probably won't do that, since I'm loathe to give up AdBlock, FlashBlock, CookieCuller, and RoboForm (LastPass isn't nearly as good), but I'd love to find a way to make Firefox as responsive as Opera.

rgdot:
Just for the record my experience is close to cyberdiva, 12 add-ons and a similar computer. And FF is easily the most sluggish program on it and I have lots of programs that I download to play around with and test. Keep my pc as tuned as I can turning off unneeded stuff and deleting startups, etc. so other things while not great considering the age of my system are still good.

dantheman:
Cyberdiva,

Just do a search to find .urlfilter for opera and you'll find a way to block most ads in Opera.

Firefox always takes a long time to load when computer is booted up or restarted.
After that, it usually doesn't take mine much more than 8 seconds.
I've read elsewhere that this is the way the Mozilla browser behaves.

I can't do away with qtl, SlimSearch (SimilarWeb recently discovered) extensions for Firefox.
Adblock Plus of course is standard installation but i'm also an avid Diigo user (which recently acquired Furl bookmarking services). Too many bookmarks will slow down your startup process and i'm trying real hard to keep them low in FF. That's why i'm using Diigo as complimentary/backup to my bookmarks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version