ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Make Firefox 3 load faster

<< < (7/14) > >>

AndyM:
I have 39 extensions and FF3 3.06 loads in 3-5 seconds.  Fairly new, fairly fast laptop running XP SP3.

Daleus:
The only problem I've had with FF is the Real video plugin, and frankly, I think it has more to do with the fact that Real is such crap, and less with FF.

I installed the version of Real that offers the handy download this video function, so that I could grab neat vids from webpages.

Then the new version of FF came out so I upgraded, on;y to find out that the real plugin isn't compatible with FF3.  Not only that, but FF3 has never been able to locate an update to the Real plugin and on top of that, I now can't uninstall the dysfunctional Real plugin.

So I have a piece of Real crap hanging around that I can't get rid of nor can I update.  Really burns my biscuits.

/rant off - thanks for listening

dantheman:
...I now can't uninstall the dysfunctional Real plugin.

So I have a piece of Real crap hanging around that I can't get rid of nor can I update.  Really burns my biscuits.

/rant off - thanks for listening-Daleus (February 17, 2009, 09:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you have FEBE or Mozbackup, it's a sync to setup a new profile without your Real extension.

Personally, since i've recently had issues with extensions, i've been basically setting them up almost one by one. Although i like FEBE (which i haven't re-installed it yet) MozBackup (less options) has been pretty good.

FF3 has been loading under10 seconds lately.

OldElmerFudd:
You know, sometimes i wonder what the impact can be between extensions themselves?

I mean, perhaps you only have 7 extensions but maybe one of those doesn't like the face of only one other in the group.
Could this happen if there were even more like 30?
-dantheman (February 16, 2009, 02:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

dantheman, you probably have a point about some extensions not playing nice with others. I review mine periodically for reconsideration. Currently, those are Adblock Plus (a little problematical in some configurations, I'm told), Customize Google, Flashblock, Secure Login, Session Manager, Stumbleupon, and Tab mix Plus. Java installed Java Quick Starter with JRE runtimes 6 v. 10 or 11. Stumbleupon's hanging by a thread because I just never use it. Been keeping it out of sentiment, maybe. Recently, I dumped Bookmarks Duplicate Manager because I rarely have more than 60-70 bookmarks. Gone are the days of 700+ bookmarks!(ISTM finding what you need is so easy, that bookmarking is rarely useful. YMMV) This is my basic FF3 setup on all my machines. They all run XP Pro SP2 and the slowest is a 2.53GHz P4 with 2GB ram. Loading isn't much of a problem, but the server and one of the main desktops run 24/7.  8-))

Themes? FF default and CrystalFox Qute  (easy on the eyes for me)

hth
OEF aka 2 penny Ron

f0dder:
Btw: putting %TEMP%, firefox internet file cache and profiles dir on a ramdisk is pretty darn nice for reduced disk access - FF starts & operates noticably faster. Downside is of course that you need a ramdisk product that supports persisting the memory contents, and you need a stable backup scheme to avoid dataloss because of crashes or powerloss.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version