ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Make Firefox 3 load faster

<< < (4/14) > >>

cmpm:
I use cleanmem to keep firefox in check. While it doesn't clear the memory cache of FF, it does knock the program down to around 5000, every 30 minutes, then slowly back up to 60,000 or 80,000, but not like it was going up to 200,000. Worth it to have quick access to FF and where ever I left off.

Also there is an add on called 'cache status' but it sometimes hungup on the memory deal and locked. Plus I think it was a mem leaker like quite a few of the add ons. So I try to stay away from those.

Flash block really helps with quick page loading. Seems every one is embedding flash everywhere!

Came across this, but I don't know. I'm surfing fine now, I'd hate to screw it up.

http://www.esnips.com/doc/c0a4daf1-23bf-4410-931f-597740e955a6/firefox-ultimate-optimizer-11

Edit-further research shows no real comments of value or actual tests.
I advise against this 'ultimate optimizer'.

dantheman:
Wow! That was quite the writeup Magis esse!  8)

And so many extensions!  :o I'm surprised you don't have many more issues.

Anyway, i did a quick search and someone in another forum pointed out that the History being kept is set at 90 days!  :huh: Yup. So i changed it to 7, cleared history cache and cookies and, although it may be too soon to tell, everything seems to be pretty well in ship shape now.

BTW, "MinimizetoTray" isn't to be confused with "Firefox Preloader" (which has been upgraded since 2005). The latter would preload/boot with the OS, not "MtT"

@cmpm, ya, i kind of had that intuition.

f0dder:
Firefox page loading (and rendering) is plenty fast - when people say "load faster" I immediately think of loading the application which could be a lot faster. I really hope the dev team will focus on that issue soon. Preloading and minimize-to-tray are just symptomatic fixes, and minize-to-tray seems like a bad idea to me (while a very large amount of memory leaks have been fixed in FF3, it still has a few here and there).

Pipelining actually slowed it down. imo.-cmpm (February 08, 2009, 07:32 PM)
--- End quote ---
Sounds weird - works wonders here. But for the few servers that use broken HTTP daemons that bork on pipelining, you could face slowdowns or even pages that refuse to load. But while you might not see speedups (especially on slower connections) pipelining shouldn't cause slowdown.

The load time for Firefox is incredible compared to any version of IE, Opera, or Safari so I have no complaints.-sgtevmckay (February 08, 2009, 07:58 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, incredibly slow :) - IE6 loadtime is hard to beat. And please no "IE is part of the OS" argument, it's bullocks (besides, hot-cache loads of FF are still slower than cold-cache loads of IE6).

I use cleanmem to keep firefox in check.-cmpm (February 08, 2009, 08:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
Is that one of those snake-oil "memory optimizers"? Those applications are pretty counter-productive. First, they cause flushing to the pagefile (disk write == super slow), followed by a re-read from the pagefile when the app needs the data again (disk read == slow). Second, windows will do this "trim working set" as needed, and start with the least used applications. Third, it doesn't really fix the memory leaks.

cmpm:
Works for me fodder. It doesn't 0 out everything.
No change in the page file when CleanMem is run.
I've checked it by running it manually.

If you have a way to fix the mem leaks, lets hear it please.
I just avoid the worst add ons, that leak mem,
and that's about all I know to do.

I took out Fasterfox and Tweak Network and it seems to improve speed and stability.

cmpm:
from

http://www.pcwintech.com/node/145

So now lets start with how Cleanmem works. Cleanmem is very small as it doesn't need to do much. First off Cleanmem doesn't clean the memory from the processes itself! It asks Windows to do that. When the program starts up it grabs a list of running processes. It then grabs the ID of each process and calls the Windows API EmptyWorkingSet for each processes, Cleanmem of course checks the ignore list and skips those processes. Then Windows cleans the process, and once all the processes have been cleaned Cleanmem closes itself.

Well that's the part that seems to freak some people out, if the memory is being cleaned then the process itself will suffer! the memory will be pushed to the hard drive! the world will end! And guess what they are wrong. So let me explain why. The API call only removes memory no longer being used by the process. It doesn't touch memory in use

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version