ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Make Firefox 3 load faster

<< < (3/14) > >>

NewsAndHistory:
DanTheMan, thanks for your kindness & help.

dantheman:
NewsAndHistory (that's an original alias!)

I am humbled!  :-[
Honestly, i'm don't feel i contribute much here and feel more like tiny player in the midst of big league players.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

:Thmbsup:

Oh! Before we go off the subject, Minimize to Tray is a nice addon for Firefox and Thunderbird.

cmpm:
FF3 seems fast enough as is.
Pipelining actually slowed it down. imo.
Fasterfox, or Lite or Tweak Network,
all seemed to have a slower effect on my machine.

Granted it's not a top of the line computer.
But I've found that many functions are already in FF and just hidden. Cutting down on add ons.
'Toolbar Buttons' gives these extras a quick access point to put in the toolbars.
I have 24 add ons that seem to not be bothersome.
Using 'Minimize to Tray' which is officially 'experimental', ha!
I just have to restart FF once in a while when it gets a cold and needs to blow it's nose.

Now we are at 3.0.6 and I don't think these tweaks are keeping up. I don't keep up with any nightly builds though.

dantheman:
"Minimize to Tray" is probably 'experimental' because it's been adjusted to FF3 and to work with Thunderbird at same time.

A cold start on my ol' notebook doesn't take away any snot.
For some reason it always takes about a minute before i can type in any urls or do anything else with it.  :huh:
And i have about 20 extensions too.

sgtevmckay:
Love Firefox III.
Been using the Gecko system way back in Netscape 4.1

I utilize about 54 add-ons. Now granted this slows Programs start-up, but it is a fair trade off for the add-ons that I use.
Load time is about 73 seconds.

Now over the years I have learned that there is little you can do about load time for Firefox.
My load time is delayed by a handful of my Add-ons, but I find that if I unload my add-ons or start Firefox in safe mode, the increase in load time is nominally faster by just a few seconds, approximately 14 seconds.

The load time for Firefox is incredible compared to any version of IE, Opera, or Safari so I have no complaints.
Now depending on how much bandwidth you have for an internet connection, I can speed up your specs well beyond the current specified Firefox spec's, and do so while being stable.

But as for load time we are stuck.
Now the biggest slow down to loading Firefox, or any web application, is monitoring software (ie, anti-virus, process watchers, Threatfire, nortons IS, AVG IS, Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D so on). The more of these running the slower the load time.

You want to see the load time on your browser reduced, shut down any Anti-virus or process monitoring software.

Now as for the Minimize to tray; there is a huge trade off for this little add-on. This allows FFIII to run in the background all the time, and if you set it up to run on boot, your computer takes longer to boot. You definitely do not want FF slowing down your system or slowly consuming your resources while sitting in your tray. Trust me on this one.

Realistically: there is no instant on. Only compromises.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version