ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Make Firefox 3 load faster

<< < (12/14) > >>

dantheman:
This ram disk looks kind of good. Any opinions favourable or not?

edbro:
This ram disk looks kind of good. Any opinions favourable or not?
-dantheman (March 31, 2009, 03:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
I saw that one earlier when I Googled for a freeware ramdisk. But, it doesn't look like it will automatically save the image like Farsoft. If I'm going to run Firefox in ram then I will want to save the image every so often. If I save a bookmark, I want it to be there tomorrow.

Paul Keith:
Out of curiosity how many tabs do you usually have open when you open Firefox?
-Paul Keith (March 31, 2009, 07:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Normally one (I built my own start page from which I navigate to my fav sites),  occasionally three to four (during the Add-ons update process), rarely eight to ten (when I need to invoke session restore).-gpetrant (March 31, 2009, 01:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

I guess this tweak isn't for me. I normally open FirefoxPortable with 25+ tabs minimum.

edbro:
Well, I installed Farsoft Ramdisk and put Portable FF on it. I compared it to my normal FF on hard disk.
5.5 seconds for Portable FF to load from ram
6.5 seconds for FF to load from HD.

Not enough of an improvement for me to buy the ramdisk software and to give up that memory. Has anybody else done a comparison?

f0dder:
edbro: loading FF is only part of the story - what you really need to compare is browsing around, having lots of tabs open (and stuff like opening all the links from "view unread posts" in background tabs, then surfing the main tab while the background tabs are loading.

Putting portable FF on the ramdisk probably also meant you put a pretty clean install on the ramdisk? That means no huge & fragmented *.sqlite files, and not a lot of internet cache files?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version