ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful

<< < (189/192) > >>

Deozaan:
[OT]: This smells a lot like a spam message..., and also it should have gone into the existing thread of (nearly) the same name.
Any admin who agrees with me should IMHO remove this thread and probably the OP too.
-Ath (October 18, 2018, 10:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

It was a spammer who copied mouser's post from 2006(!) verbatim, probably intending to change the link to a spam link:

btw, anyone who tries firefox to see if they want to keep using it, should not even start to try it until they install Tab Mix Plus.

To me, this 1 extension is the make or break feature of firefox to me.  It turns a browser with poor tab support to one with amazing tab support.  (note: there are a couple other tab extensions for firefox, they may be equally good for all i know, but you NEED one of these otherwise ff sucks, imho).

So if you are a tabbed-browser fan, and have been dissapointed with plain firefox, you need to try tab mix plus, it's just packed with cool options.
-mouser (September 24, 2006, 11:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

KodeZwerg:
For my own needs i was looking for an easy way to add Dark Theme to Websites.
My own tries kinda work, but only for pages where i inject Css Code.

Now i discovered a really neat plugin "Dark Reader"

Here is Mainlink
Supports native Chrome, Firefox and Safari Browsers and is also avail as OpenSource via GitHub.
Since i am using Opera, i can tell with "Chrome support" addon installed, it works just great for me.

A preview of my current view:
Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful

dantheman:
Has anyone found an alternative to FEBE that works with Quantum on Windows 10?
Would like export extensions as list with corresponding links to install.

-----
Can't find extensions folder in app data either...

IainB:
@dantheman: I suspect that you might be asking the wrong question here.
For example:

* I used to use FEBE (at the time when it was the only available extension backup tool, I think), but its development started to lag a little, and then Firefox brought in the Sync functionality, which made FEBE somewhat redundant. So I used Sync instead of FEBE, and - just in case - kept contingency copies of the installers of my fav extensions. So I was mostly covered, from a backup perspective.

* When I eventually switched to Slimjet - after becoming sick and tired of Mozilla and their control-freak trips, wrecking all that was good about Firefox (for me) - I was happy using the Sync functionality that was built into Slimjet/Chrome. That was until recently, when Google appeared to be starting with the same control-freak tricks that Mozilla had been up to - in this case, silently switching off one of my fav extensions (so I had to keep switching it on again when I ran Slimjet) and then completely zapping it  - this was the excellent BadAdJohnny extension.

* However, after the Firefox experience, I was prepared for this, and I am in the habit of saving backup copies of the installers of extension that look as though they might be at risk of unilateral prohibition/deletion by GodMode Google. Of course, that will only work if Google don't go down the same path as Mozilla and enforce obsolescence of all/any extensions that they don't approve of on an ongoing basis. I consider backup copies of the extension installers to be a "lowest common denominator" approach - i.e., rather than a backup tool like FEBE (and its restore component).

* So, from a user perspective, I have taken a relatively independent path that is based on a complete lack of trust of the browser providers/supporters. This has generally worked well, though I thought I had been caught out when Mozilla made the Scrapbook extension obsolete, but I've overcome that hurdle with newer technology - i.e., saving webpages as .mhtml files), which are indexable/searchable via WDS (Windows Desktop Search) and GDS (Google Desktop Search), etc..
So, whether you are using Quantum, or something else, the question might better be: How can my processes be made more resilient and more certain of avoiding falling into the trap of relying on transient proprietary backup solutions from unreliable/fickle providers?
This is one of the concerns that I have regarding my tendency for increasing reliance on MS Office OneNote. I mean, if the supplier can kick off what looks to be a definite new line of integrated computing - such as Windows Phone (Windows 10) and complete with a new Sony-Ericsson smartphone designed for it - and then simply drop it all "just like that", where the heck does that leave the users who have been suckered into using it? If they'd said at the outset (like Google tend to do) that these are trials or Betas, then that could at least be a little more honest, but no, they didn't elect to do that and we have all read the message, loud and clear: "Screw the users/customers".

dantheman:
It's been a while since i've used FEBE (which can do quite a bunch of things) so i do tend to forget...
But, every once in a while, i get nostalgic about my first love (Firefox) and take it out of the garage for drive, alas, to only find it lacking in something or another.

- - - - -
Sorry to hear about your issues with Slimjet.
AFAIC, "Share Extension" has been good to me (as well as any other Chrome extension) so far:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/share-extensions/chdafcbnfkfenoeejpaeenpdamhmalhe

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version