ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful

<< < (183/192) > >>

dantheman:
@IanB,

Not sure about:config issue since it works well for me.
But for the rest of your observations, i cannot, not agree! :P
Sure, there top notch extensions but there are also all those lesser known that you count on when you need them.
As you so elaborately well exposed, there so many more issues that have come along, adding to the fuel to make die-hard FF users irrevocably disgruntled...  >:(
We just don't have much choice than to look elsewhere for a viable solution.  :(

IainB:
Another one bites the dust.
(Copied below sans embedded hyperlinks/images.)
Sunset of Googlebar Lite
April 6, 2017.
As of today, I am officially withdrawing my development support for the Googlebar Lite Firefox extension. I’m aware that the extension no longer works well in the latest builds of Firefox, and I have absolutely no desire to fix them. Mozilla’s development environment has gotten pretty irritating as of late, and I just don’t have the cycles (or the drive) to fix the issues that exist.
The future of Firefox add-ons lies in WebExtensions, and toolbar support in that arena is pretty bare-bones (last I looked). The default Firefox search box meets most needs, which has motivated me to drop this extension.
For those that are so-inclined, I will accept pull requests at the official googlebarlite repo. Or, you can fork the project and roll your own.

--- End quote ---

IainB:
Just discovered this today. I was adding the Chrome Simple Gmail Notes extension to Slimjet and noticed that they had a Firefox version too.

I didn't know it existed until today. Looks potentially very handy.

Curt:
I have just moved from an old laptop to an old but stronger and faster x64 PC. I also moved my Firefox settings, but was disappointed that all the favicons now were missing from the bookmark manager.

Favicon
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A favicon /ˈfæv.ɪˌkɒn/ (short for favorite icon), also known as a shortcut icon, website icon, tab icon, URL icon, or bookmark icon, is a file containing one or more small icons, associated with a particular website or web page. A web designer can create such an icon and upload it to a website (or web page) by several means, and graphical web browsers will then make use of it. Browsers that provide favicon support typically display a page's favicon in the browser's address bar (sometimes in the history as well) and next to the page's name in a list of bookmarks. Browsers that support a tabbed document interface typically show a page's favicon next to the page's title on the tab, and site-specific browsers use the favicon as a desktop icon.

Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful

Favicons can also be used to have a textless favourite site, saving space.-Wikipedia explaining Favicon
--- End quote ---

It turned out that the usual trick, FavIcon Reloader, is out of date and therefore has a new name: FavIcon Reloader up to FF 48 only!

Taking a new PC into use, easily becomes a period full of disappointments - and I was annoyed and disappointed for a couple of days, because I could not find anything that would do the trick. But suddenly I looked at the words in a new way: Ehh... How hard can it be, Curt? I removed Firefox 52 and re-installed Firefox 48 and 'FavIcon Reloader up to FF 48 only' - and ran it. Yes, of course it is working with version 48, hence its name! I then upgraded to version 52 and was delighted to see all the small pictures smiling at me again :-)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/faviconreloader  :up:
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/

MilesAhead:
@Curt I hate running without favicons o any browser.  So I will go to some length to get them loaded.  If you have your FF already backed up there may be very little risk to the folowing scheme.  Get a FF installer for the last version that supports the AddOn and install it.  Install and run the favicon getter.  If favicons seem normal I would log off, then back on just to make sure they are flushed to disk.  Run the latest FF installer.  You should still have your favicons

FF used to balk if you tried to downgrade but they removed that block some time ago.  I regularly install older versions on top with no particular issues.  It is probably the easiest way to get the favicons back short of visiting the sites manually.

(Sorry if typos.  I am on a 7 inch tablet.  It has a keyboard but the text is pretty small to read.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version