ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful

<< < (182/192) > >>

panzer:
Further discussion about Brave (or other browsers) probably ought to be in a new/different thread to prevent this one from being derailed/hijacked.
-Deozaan (February 14, 2017, 01:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

There are so many browsers out there that you'll need at least another forum for that, let alone another thread.

IainB:
There are so many browsers out there that you'll need at least another forum for that, let alone another thread.
-panzer (February 15, 2017, 02:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes. Maybe that could be a good reason for considering having a separate board in this forum, reserved for all browser-related discussion threads - including this one.    :tellme:

IainB:
Mozilla Firefox - AlternativeTo

dantheman:
And the top extension are... going bye bye!

See why at Ghacks.

IainB:
And the top extension are... going bye bye!
See why at Ghacks.
-dantheman (March 19, 2017, 12:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks for posting that @dantheman. Depressing reading, really. I used to read everything ghacks wrote about FF (Firefox), but since embarking on a migration (exit) away from FF and towards Slimjet (after trialling it), I've tended to not spend much time on FF and had just let it languish.
After reading that ghacks post though, I did some thinking about it and reviewed my exit-and-migration-strategy - which really is more of a trial-and-error path away from FF --> Slimjet than a real "strategy" per se.

I had been on the FF beta channel, which had become unbearable for me, as every new update seemed to break a load of stuff - more than it introduced new/good functionality - so FF had become of incrementally reducing usefulness to me. So, yesterday I did a FF "refresh", but that didn't seem to help matters, so I expunged FF beta and went backwards, installing the latest current "stable" version. - v52.0.1 (32-bit). I restored all the FF add-ons from Sync (which seems to work quite well nowadays, though, from experience, the corresponding Slimjet Sync seems better - more reliable). Surprisingly, that version of FF seems to start up quite nicely - not that I'm actually able to use it very much. In fact, it's not really usable, as the "awesome bar" doesn't seem to work very well. That bar used to live up to its name, but now when one enters a URL and clicks on the "go to" button, presses enter or Ctrl-R (Refresh), nothing happens. Can't get it to work. Doing a FF "Refresh" evidently makes no difference. Can't even go to about:config to see what might be the problem!    :tellme:
No useful help in the discussion forums either. This is what I mean about FF - it increasingly seems to be the case that it is simply nothing but trouble, a time bandit. Life's too short. I don't want to spend my cognitive surplus worrying about trying to fix such perpetually breaking stuff, nor do I want to have to drag around a mechanic to fix FF for me, wherever I go, for the rest of FF's product life.

There were several FF add-ons and functionality that were my main reasons for sticking with FF. Now I am in a "replacement mode" where I am finding effective substitutes in Slimjet - substitutes for those FF add-ons and functionality. A key FF add-on for me was Scrapbook and I now have a good/better and non-proprietary substitute for Scrapbook in Slimjet. The migration of the old Scrapbook legacy database (which contains a few thousand records) is still a data management problem to be solved elegantly though, but I can meanwhile use FF to manage that database (though it's a kludgy approach as I had already gone beyond the boundaries of the Scrapbook data management functionality, which is rather kludgy in that regard).    :-[

There's one bit of intrinsically useful FF functionality (not an add-on, I think) that I am currently trying to find a substitute for in Slimjet.
It is this: When the FF user right-clicks on a page, a menu pops up, which includes two entries somewhere in the middle of the menu list of entries:

* View page source.
* View page info.Clicking the "View page info." item gives something like this (see image below) - which offers a seriously useful piece of functionality that I cannot yet see how to get replicated in Slimjet:

I apologise in advance and acknowledge that, now that I have stated it as being a "...a seriously useful piece of functionality...", this could well risk drawing unwanted attention to said functionality and be taken as a signal for Mozilla to break said functionality as they strive to maintain their seemingly remorseless dive to the bottom with FF.

EDIT 2017-04-09 1628hrs: Page Info window - View technical details about the page you are on

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version