ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful

<< < (170/192) > >>

IainB:
Anyone know a trick to reduce the extension button delay on startup?  I have FF set to open about:blank and have Fast Dial as New Tab page.  But when I start FF it hangs for a few seconds as the extensions display their buttons in the AddOn Bar.  While this is going on FF will not open a new tab with a url.  It is like it is frozen for a few seconds.
This really bogs down my system startup routine.
Even after all the buttons show, pressing the Fast Dial button gets no reaction for a couple of seconds.  I don't remember FF being this lame.  Seems to be really clunky in versions over 30.  The version number changes so fast it is hard to remember where things started to go wrong.
-MilesAhead (April 27, 2016, 05:54 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yers, FF releases (I'm on the Beta channel) seem to have been getting incrementally and progressively more sluggish over the last couple of years. It's bloatware now and has got to the point where I am seriously considering dumping FF and going to another browser.
So far trialled:

* Pale Moon: Nope. More of the same as FF, and too idiosyncratic for my liking
* Google Canary: Nope. Via the 64-bit Google Chrome Beta channel. A bit faster, but still bloatware and I mistrust Google.
* Chromium: Not bad, but has been crippled a bit by removing the Google APIs.
* Internet Explorer 11: Both x86 and x64 versions are very good, but MS seem to be wanting to discontinue the product.
* MS Edge: Bloody fast, but then it's not been loaded up with the inevitable bloatware yet...
Increasingly, when FF slows to a crawl, I find myself impatiently switching to MS Edge, because it is just so fast and reliable (at the moment).
If FF didn't have all those useful addons that it does - especially Scrapbook - then I'd probably dump it today.
I have had a gutsful of FF - what with the s-l-o-w bloatware, all the cr#p and dysfunctional overload regarding "signed addons". and their management's pontifications about what's good for me (trying to justify what they intend to force-feed me).
My usual laptop has an AMD-A8 processor. Interestingly, I loaded up my FF configuration onto a laptop with an Intel i7 processor the other day, and the FF response time was much improved. So maybe that's the "trick"?
That is, get an i7 processor.   :tellme:
Shades of those infamously cynical IBM upgrades in days of yore...

MilesAhead:
Increasingly, when FF slows to a crawl, I find myself impatiently switching to MS Edge, because it is just so fast and reliable (at the moment).
-IainB (April 27, 2016, 11:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

It is a shame.  On my system it is not even so much that it is slow as that it hangs incessantly just doing stuff like trying to scroll an already loaded page.  I keep dragging the mouse on the scroll control and watching as nothing happens.  Then I keep getting the dialog box about how the script is not responding.  It is next to unusable.  I guess I have to adapt to another browser soon.  I just got this one set up so that SAS quick scans come up clean.  It figures.  :(

Curt:
I am surprised that IainB's list doesn't mention Opera, especially with Opera Turbo, and the (I have deleted the rest of the original post - it seems I was quoting an old, out of date page.) Anyway, the new Opera is fast.

Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful

MilesAhead:
I am surprised that IainB's list doesn't mention Opera, especially with Opera Turbo, and the (I have deleted the rest of the original post - it seems I was quoting an old, out of date page.) Anyway, the new Opera is fast.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

-Curt (April 28, 2016, 08:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

For grins I just tried Opera Portable.  I imported FF bookmarks.  But it seems Opera has abandoned the .adr format.  Now it has some nested script stuff. It used to be trivial to open bookmarks.adr and delete a couple of lines to get rid of the Bookmarks imported from Firefox folder and have the bookmarks overlay the Opera bookmarks.  All I had to do after that was place the bookmarks toolbar bookmarks on the toolbar by drag and drop.

Now I have no desire to delve any deeper.  I just rolled back my system to get rid of it.

IainB:
...Now I have no desire to delve any deeper.  I just rolled back my system to get rid of it.
-MilesAhead (April 28, 2016, 10:03 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, Opera, well I could have warned you...and that's not from personal 1st-hand experience, but rather from what I have read and learned about other people's experiences with Opera.
I wouldn't have bothered in the first place really, if I were you. Kind of a foregone conclusion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version