ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful

<< < (133/192) > >>

Steven Avery:
Hi,

Now that I have a faster puter (Dell Optiplex 990 -Windows 7 with 10 GB memory) I find that more extensions are fine.  Firefox still crashes sometimes,  but I just bring it back up. And if I anticipate a problem, I do a Restart (e.g. extension Restartless Restart).  And I keep an external Firefox kill shortcut nearby that uses PsKill. And Session Manager.  

The first 10 are the most fundamental, basic extensions are:

Linkman (although I use the Dropbasket)
Tab Mix Plus
Restaratless Restart
Session Manager
All-in-One Sidebar
Download Manager S3
Lazarus
LastPass
Open IT Online
Cleanest AddonManager and/or Slim Add-ons Manager
Telify and Skype Click-to-call
FEBE-CLEO
Avast Online Security and Bluhell Firewall.
unmask and/or Unhide Passwords.  
Quickjava
The Add-on Bar (restored)
Internote
Tab Counter

Considering Diigo
There are a bunch more installed that I am considering and a bunch more I am considering to install!

Hmm... Now I'll have to really read the thread!

======================================

Here is my current tweak.

Tab Set Saver and Tab Mix Plus

Normally I have TMP at five rows. For this tweak I may set it higher.  First I do my normal stuff of setting up a page of many related open windows, in this example it is Windows Tweaks. I move any oddball stuff out. Then I save it as a set using TSS to a special folder on disk.  Then delete the window.  Then bring up the TSS page up. (On the TSS extension discussion, I suggested automating these steps.) I can then have multiple related TSS pages. Voila!  25+ visual links grouped together in one open page. Memory minimal and organization assistance.  This can be done with my main work and social pages as well, as an alternative to Xerpi and other bookmark and Start Page ideas.

If you have tools that accomplish this type of idea better, please share away :).

This creates a simple .html file, which I can also upload.

Steven

xtabber:
CookieKeeper is a replacement for CookieCuller, which I've depended on for years to manage cookies on Firefox.

According to the developer, CookieKeeper started out as an attempt to update CookieCuller, but evolved into a complete rewrite, with many more features than the original, including an excellent cookie editor.

Very nice.

MilesAhead:

Copy Urls Expert

-silat (August 16, 2014, 07:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

I just tried this one.  It's great for making a file of Urls that will work with BrowserBunch.  Much neater than the keyboard macro I wrote.  I can create the Url set file in Firefox or CometBird, then use BrowserBunch if I should want to open it in Opera or Chromium.   :Thmbsup:

MilesAhead:
I could not get FVD SpeedDial to import dials in FF 36.0.  I tried a couple of others and hit on Super Start

I'm starting to really like it.  It is simple and the page loads fast when set as Home Page.  It's extremely easy to make groups or catagories of dials.  Drag a dial into a similar one and it creates a group.  Click the Rename Group to name it.

Another thing I like is left click by default opens the dial in another tab in the background.

This Firefox install is only a couple of days old.  I hope it reacts as snappy when it's a couple of months old.  :)

IainB:
Thought this might be of interest/use - I originally posted it in another part of the DC Forum:
(Note that Sync is enabled/disabled via the Tools | Options menu.)
...More often than not once you run a few FF in various places sync just scrambles everything into a pile
-MilesAhead (February 26, 2015, 10:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

When I read that, I thought I should mention that my experience of using FF (Beta update channel) is that, quite to the contrary to what you stated, FF Sync works like a charm.
The only real problem I have had with FF tends to be what is an apparently common recurring problem that, on the beta update channel, with all the frequent updates, FF performance tends to occasionally decline/misbehave to the extent that the only way to fix it is to start FF up in base form (i.e., without any add-ons, etc.), and then re-install all the add-ons and Greasemonkey scripts etc. manually. I got the advice to do that from some helpful forum/blog posts, and it turned out to be good advice.
However, there was a real problem with following that advice - you are then forced into a seriously tedious exercise of manually re-installing all the add-ons and other stuff, which is a proverbial PITA.

I discovered that I was able to automate it all (except for Greasemonkey scripts) through the use of FF Sync, which automatically re-installs all the add-ons and other stuff (e.g., including bookmarks) that you can choose to sync. You may have to manually reset some settings, but that's about it.
However, I had to reinstall the Greasemonkey scripts manually, which was another PITA. Then at some stage a Greasemonkey update introduced an option to "Enable Firefox Sync for User Scripts", so that got rid of the PITA.

FF Sync has been operating thus, apparently faultlessly, for me and for a long time. I changed to the latest version of FF Sync some time back when they first introduced it. Sync has enabled me to sync FF smoothly across 3 computers, even with up to 3 different users sharing/syncing things like the FF bookmarks on those computers. FF Sync is pretty smart.
The only surprising thing I find about FF Sync is that it doesn't scramble the stuff up.
-IainB (February 26, 2015, 01:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version