ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful

<< < (23/192) > >>

sri:
Instead of creating a new thread, I thought it's appropriate I post here.

If you are a power surfer jumping from one site to another several times in a day, you need better ways of doing the following:

1. Opening a new tab
2. Closing a tab
3. 'Undo'ing a closed tab
4. Going back and forward
5. Jumping to next and previous tabs
6. Opening extensions window.

You can increase your surfing productivity by using Keyconfig, a Firefox extension inspired by Opera. If you want to be able to do the following, read on.

T (key on your keyboard)  to open a new tab

C to close the current tab

ctrl + Z to undo and thus restore the last closed tab (for that oops moment ;)

Z to go back, X to go forward

A to go to previous tab, S to go to next tab

E to open the extensions window

The steps below will enable you to set E key to open the extensions window.

1. Download and install keyconfig enhanced from here. It's at the bottom of that page.
2. Tools -> Keyconfig.
3. Click Show Edit Mode. Click New.
4. Enter Extensions as the Name.
5. Leave Menu/Extension blank.
6. In Shortcut field, type the letter e
7. In Command box, paste BrowserOpenExtensions('extensions');
8. Click Apply and OK.
9. Restart Firefox.

Similarly you can set the other shortcuts. Below are the commands you would need (the underlined text could be entered as Name). Note that you can set any of these at once and press OK to dismiss the window once done:

Next Tab

--- ---gBrowser.mTabContainer.advanceSelectedTab(1);
Previous Tab

--- ---gBrowser.mTabContainer.advanceSelectedTab(-1);
Close current Tab

--- ---var tab = gBrowser.mCurrentTab; gBrowser.removeTab(tab);This may require Tab Mix Plus installed. I am not sure.

Back
Type back in the Filter box, click the entry where the shortcut is alt+left arrow, set the shortcut to Z, Apply.

Forward
Type forward in the Filter box, click the entry where the shortcut is shift+backspace, set the shortcut to X, Apply.

New tab
Type new tab in the Filter box, click the entry where the shortcut is ctrl+T, set the shortcut to T, Apply.

Note that most of these shortcuts won't work in the tab that has Gmail open. You might take some time to get used to, but start using these shortcuts. You will definitely enjoy.

Renegade:
Themes

There is only one theme: miniFoxFlat! Gives you back your real estate without ruining anything. Small, compact, highly usable.
I love it!  :-*
-housetier (June 27, 2006, 08:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
Just installed that - nice - very small. Not very aesthetic, but extremely functional.

It basically removes about 2 pixels of height and width from every element, making it extremely compact.

housetier:
...and speaking of small & compact, I also rearranged my tool- and menubars.

The top looks like this now:

As you can see, the navigation bar and menu bar share room now; I don't have the toolbar from diigo or stumbleupon displayed, but I use both via shortcuts.

Now to the bottom! I didn't save as much space there though:

So my list of extensions now is as follows:

[0] PTTL
[0] Customize Google
[0] Adblock Plus
[0] Fission gives a nice progress bar in the adress bar
[0] Greasemonkey alone itself does not much but there are a lot of so-called userscripts which let you execute javascript on web pages
[0] Stumble Upon was covered in a mini review
[0] Diigo lets me social bookmark at many many sites; and also you can sare annotations on web pages
[/list]

Not as many extensions as others might have. But these are the ones I regularly use.

sri:
housetier, You can get rid of two buttons (back and forward) and have only one.

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2210/.

housetier:
Thanks for the tip! I'll see how it works out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version