ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful

<< < (110/192) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
Possibly my favourite Firefox extension is Speed Dial. I don't do bookmarks, I do dials. I can categorise sets of places into dial "groups" and I really like the way this works.
-oblivion (April 19, 2013, 04:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't do bookmarks either. Something about them always bothered me.

For my ultra-heavy-duty favorite pages, I made an entire (low tek) special home page with them. Thus it's available from anywhere, so I don't have to think about home comp vs phone vs friend's house vs net cafe vs hotel. It's just there.

Then for "stuff I'd like to look at later", I just save a page or three from the site, because once you know the site itself exists, aka reminding yourself later because you forgot, then you can just navigate back to all the cool pages. Sometimes I make a text file with notes in case there are tricks that aren't obvious.

sword:
TagSpaces Beta firefox 17-20 add-on, latest_1.2.1284 (2013.03.29).
Add tags easily to local file system filenames in chosen directory. 
Search, filter display. Drag&Drop tagging and moving. 
See videos, youtube, features, evernote-alternative, comments
by ugg, uggrock, UggRock, tagstrator. Started Aug. 2012.
-sword (April 18, 2013, 02:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

not sure what you're saying there sword (?)
Had a look at the TagSpaces addon page, and I'm still not sure what it does - any more clues? :)
-tomos (April 18, 2013, 02:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

TagSpaces
Add tags to filenames.‭

Views:‭ ‬List,‭ ‬Search,‭ ‬Thumbs‭ ‬(svg,‭ ‬png,‭ ‬jpg,‭ ‬gif...‭)‬.‭
tabs:‭ (‬New:‭ ‬(file‭)‬,‭ ‬Tags:‭ ‬,‭ ‬Files:‭ )‬.
‎“‏Select a directory:‭ “ [ ‬any,‭  ‬I chose a USB flash drive‭ ]‬.
In List view,‭ ‬select Tags tab‭ > ‬click file,‭ ‬menu:‭  ‬Add Tags,‭ ‬Open File,‭
Show containing folder,‭ ‬Rename File,‭ ‬Delete File‭ ‬> clicking Add Tags:‭
Comma separated list of the Tags:‭ _______ ('‬Add tags‭' ‬OR‭ '‬Cancel‭')‬.
Tags are in two windows:‭ ‬Common Tags‭ & ‬GTD.‭ ‬Clicking‭ “*” ‬menu:‭
Create Tag,‭ ‬Duplicate Taggroup,‭ ‬Edit Taggroup,‭ ‬Delete Taggroup.

I renamed‭ '‬myoldfilename‭' ‬to genmyoldfilename[BAB‭] ‬using‭ '‬gen‭'
for genealogy and the tag‭ '‬BAB‭' ‬for the surname.‭

This will let me more easily rename files and add tags that can be‭
searched or changed.‭ Not just downloaded files but files in any directory.

[TagSpaces‎_‏1.3.1287‎ “‏latest‭” (‬from homepage‭)‬,‭ ‬Firefox‭_‬20.0,‭ ‬Linux‭
Mint‭_‬14,‭ ‬64bit on a USB flash drive.‭]

cyberdiva:
For my ultra-heavy-duty favorite pages, I made an entire (low tek) special home page with them. Thus it's available from anywhere, so I don't have to think about home comp vs phone vs friend's house vs net cafe vs hotel. It's just there.
-TaoPhoenix (April 19, 2013, 11:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

I do the same thing for sites I think I'll want to come back to fairly often.   For the rest, I use Linkman Pro, which I love for many reasons, including its superfast search capabilities.  I keep an identical copy of Linkman on my netbook.

Curt:
regarding Speed Dial - maybe test "FVD Speed Dial with Full Online Sync":
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/fvd-speed-dial/ ? I don't remember why I don't use it.
It is based on the original Speed Dial, but is often updated (which Speed Dial is not).

http://lifehacker.com/5881052/lifehacker-faceoff-the-best-start-pages-for-your-browser

Lifehacker Faceoff: The Best Start Pages for Your Browser

Firefox users don't have quite as amazing a selection as Chrome users, but its still chock full of new tab extensions for you to try out. Our favorite is FVD Speed Dial, which provides both great looks and a ton of features.

The Best: FVD Speed Dial

FVD Speed Dial is what you make of it. You can add new shortcuts and let them load previews of their sites, or give them custom logos to make the start page really pop. It also has built-in logos for popular sites, and while the list of sites isn't huge, you can choose from a ton of different thumbnails for each site, meaning you can make some pretty snazzy looking pages.

It also has a ton of options for how the page works, letting you add or remove a search bar, a "most visited" page, recently closed tabs, not to mention choose a background and customize the color of everything you see. It isn't quite as simple to use as its Chrome brethren, but with a bit of fiddling, you have the potential to make a pretty awesome looking page that behaves exactly like you want it to.
-lifehacker
--- End quote ---

oblivion:
regarding Speed Dial - maybe test "FVD Speed Dial with Full Online Sync":
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/fvd-speed-dial/ ? I don't remember why I don't use it.
-Curt (April 20, 2013, 12:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
Nor do I. But I tried it a while back and there was something about it that made me want to switch back to the original Speed Dial. So I did. :)

Speed Dial does get occasional updates -- the last one was fairly recently -- and although FVD is definitely prettier, SD has all the functionality I need (and possibly more than FVD has?)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version