ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful

<< < (75/192) > >>

MilesAhead:
Some stuff will work with Half Shell that you can download here:
http://www.favessoft.com/hotkeys.html

Just scroll down the page until you see the entry for Half Shell.

(The fast way to try it is if you have a shell extension that works on folders, open a 32 bit shell using Half Shell and navigate to the folder in question and right click or whatever.  Same with files of a file type handler or whatnot.  If the command shows up there's a good chance it will still work.)

It just opens a 32 bit explorer shell as suggested by MS in one of their KB work-arounds. I mostly use it because I have an Imgburn shell extension written by the author of SVCD2DVD where you can right click a VIDEO_TS folder and you'll get a "burn with Imgburn" command in the menu.  A cool freebie.

All my shell extensions were done in VC++ 6.  I don't know of any practical way to redo it as 64 bit compiled code.  And to be honest, I worked those for so many years I don't want to look at any of that source ever again.  Every time you do something you have to log off or kill explorer.exe to get the shell to let go of the dll (library already in use so the compiler won't write over the file etc..)  it's almost as bad as coding device drivers or TSR assembler gadgets.  Generally a pita. :)

Innuendo:
Some stuff will work with Half Shell that you can download here:
http://www.favessoft.com/hotkeys.html

Just scroll down the page until you see the entry for Half Shell.-MilesAhead (October 16, 2009, 10:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

This should be handy information for anyone who should need it, but not I. I bought my PC right before 64-bit CPUs took off so I'm still toddling along with a 32-bit only Pentium 4.

MilesAhead:
I did the Pentium 4s in a string. I didn't really comprehend the multi-core thing or I would have gone quad a lot sooner.

btw anyone getting weird errors about having to restart Firefox because of Microsoft Presentation Foundation? All of a sudden I'm getting this on installs that have been stable for months.  I read the GHacks and MS articles how to remove the Firefox Agent thing that causes the problem, but there's no indication it's there.  The registry setting they tell to look for is not there. The folder in the .NET structure they say to look for is not there. It's not in the AddOns list.  It just pops up whenever it feels like it to make me restart Firefox.

Something is weird. I'm getting it on XP SP2 and I know I don't have any .NET 3.5 on that!

Innuendo:
btw anyone getting weird errors about having to restart Firefox because of Microsoft Presentation Foundation? All of a sudden I'm getting this on installs that have been stable for months.  I read the GHacks and MS articles how to remove the Firefox Agent thing that causes the problem, but there's no indication it's there.  The registry setting they tell to look for is not there. The folder in the .NET structure they say to look for is not there. It's not in the AddOns list.  It just pops up whenever it feels like it to make me restart Firefox.
-MilesAhead (October 17, 2009, 03:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Don't know if it is related, but this morning when I fired up Firefox I got a dialog box that said that Firefox was disabling the Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant extension because it was a source of stability issues.

More info on that:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=522777

MilesAhead:
Yeah, that's it.  I found out how to disable it.  Only thing is I'm cleaning my restore points and image backups to make sure I don't put it back on if I do a restore.

The weird thing is in FF beta it doesn't even show in the AddOns list.  Creepy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version