ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful

<< < (64/192) > >>

4wd:
Didn't know about the Quick Find functionality.....-Innuendo (July 03, 2009, 03:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Been there longer than I can remember, since version 1 or before, IIRC.  They call it 'Find As You Type'.

... but where is the Next/Prev functionality?
--- End quote ---

F3 for forward, Shift-F3 for backwards, Ctrl-Z to clear.

The way I look at it is, I've already got my hands on the keyboard - I don't want to keep reaching for a mouse just to push a button.

Not to mention if you pause to think too long the Quick Find box goes away.
--- End quote ---

But the last search is still in effect, you hit (Shift)F3 and it will find the next/last occurance.

I think you can change the timeout but I've always found it faster to just start typing what I'm looking for, (you can turn off the requirement for hitting '/' first: Tools->Options->Advanced->Start searching when I type).  Plus I prefer the uncluttered look of not having a Find bar there.

I don't think I've ever used Ctrl-F to initiate a search, actually I don't think I've used Shift-F3 to search backwards either - it was easier to hold down F3 and let it cycle around :)

Addendum: For some typeahead parameters that you can modify in about:config see here: about:config Category:Preferences for the following Accessibility.typeaheadfind.[parameter]

Take heed of the warning if you do choose to use about:config.

Nod5:
In relation to the findbar tweaks above: the Stylish style "Findbar: Top Left On Menubar" http://userstyles.org/styles/15881
decreases the findbar width and moves its position from the lower window edge to be placed on top of the menu bar (file, edit ...). That saves some screen space.

Innuendo:
Been there longer than I can remember, since version 1 or before, IIRC.  They call it 'Find As You Type'.-4wd
--- End quote ---

Now that I have had time to mull it over I did know about this at one point, but I gravitated towards using the Ctrl-F way as a lot of the programs I use have that hotkey to bring up the search functionality.

The way I look at it is, I've already got my hands on the keyboard - I don't want to keep reaching for a mouse just to push a button.
--- End quote ---

Oddly enough, installing Findbar Basics was because of that very reason - I didn't want to keep reaching for a mouse to dismiss the Find box. Hit Ctrl-F, type what you want to find, hit Alt-N (Next), Alt-P (Prev), Tab and then space (to clear the search box), Alt-A (to highlight all) or Alt-C (to match based on case) as needed, and then Ctrl-F to send that Find box to whence it came. I don't have to touch a mouse even once.

To each their own, I guess. That's the beauty of Firefox. There are usually multiple ways to do everything unlike with other browsers one is stuck doing things the way the author envisioned. With Firefox a person is free to make the browser work the way s/he works.

app103:
I just made a collection of all the ones I use in my "normal" firefox profile. Feel free to browse through it. Never know if you'll find something you never noticed before.

Innuendo:
App103,
Thanks for sharing your collection. the TinEye Image Search extension looks like it'll come in handy.

Ummm...you mentioned these were from your "normal" Firefox profile. Do we dare imagine what your other profile looks like? Are we going to start referring to you as 'that scary firefox profile girl', too?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version