ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful

<< < (181/192) > >>

Deozaan:
Warning on Ghacks: Firefox Focus privacy scandal
-IainB (February 13, 2017, 01:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

First of all: Maybe you missed the update which says their source was full of errors.
Secondly: I've started using Brave quite a bit lately to improve privacy.

4wd:
Warning on Ghacks: Firefox Focus privacy scandal
-IainB (February 13, 2017, 01:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

First of all: Maybe you missed the update which says their source was full of errors.
Secondly: I've started using Brave quite a bit lately to improve privacy.
-Deozaan (February 13, 2017, 05:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you don't mind not being able to install extensions, a portable browser based on WebKit/Qt, built-in adblocking, built-in user data encryption, HTTPS anywhere, etc, etc you could give Dooble a try ... if nothing else it's another browser to add to the mix  :P

By default, nothing is kept from a session unless a passphrase has been set:

IainB:
@Deozaan: Hey, ta muchly for that pointer to Brave. I had completely forgotten about your posting about it. Shall try it out.
As for the Mozilla/Focus thing, I did see the update, but regardless of what Mozilla claim to be reporting errors, I shall remain skeptical until the offending report is "corrected" by its authors.
I looked at what they wrote and, being skeptical, was aware that it was apparently an issue rather than being certain. I will be interested to see whether they admit to being mistaken. I figured they probably wouldn't have been so definite in what they had written if they had not been able to substantiate it. Still, one never knows, journalists having demonstrated pretty ably by now that the art of factual investigative journalism seems to be dead.

@4wd: Thanks for the pointer to Dooble (sigh). Now I shall have to try it out...

EDIT 2017-02-15:
Browser - Brave: I downloaded and tried to install this, but ran into a brick wall (as in, "it wouldn't install"). I then figured out that it was not a simple "fire-and-forget" install for Windows, and it seemed to require some arcane knowledge and tools to make it all work. At that point I pulled the plug as I don't have the time, inclination or patience to muck about with a kludgy browser utility installation. A browser is a common utility, and its installation either works, or it doesn't and it didn't. End of. For all I know, it might have been a good browser, and I'm sure I probably wasn't able to do it justice, but there we are. Oh dear, what a pity, never mind.

Browser - dooble: I downloaded, installed and briefly trialled dooble, but though it seemed quite a nifty and "lite" browser (nice GUI as well!), it had some ergonomic idiosyncrasies, some of which were rather good and some which I didn't particularly want to have to live with or adapt my working methods to, so I uninstalled it. Pity, really.

Browser - Firefox!: I also updated my favourite - Firefox (via the beta channel) - but it's got so bloody awful now that after starting up the latest updated version and tediously fixing all the broken bits that seem to get broken with every.ruddy.update. and watching it crawl blindly about the floor like some creature seeking a sluggish and quiet death, I thought "Ah, sod it. This thing seems to have become nothing but trouble now." and put it out of its misery. I shut it down in disgust and went back to using Slimjet - which is still stable as all heck and it pains me that I don't have any real criticism of it. I must be missing something...    :tellme:

IainB:
@Deozaan: I updated my comment above with some feedback on Brave. Thanks for the pointer anyway.

@4wd: I updated my comment above with some feedback on dooble. Thanks for the pointer anyway.

Deozaan:
Not to get too off-topic, but FWIW I had no problems with the Brave installer. It "just worked" for me. Sorry your experience with it wasn't the same in that regard.

Further discussion about Brave (or other browsers) probably ought to be in a new/different thread to prevent this one from being derailed/hijacked.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version