topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:08 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful  (Read 766111 times)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful
« Reply #625 on: August 01, 2014, 07:22 AM »
I'm easily confused so please talk s...l.....oooo.......w!
I'm still looking for the "supposed" script to disable lazyload.
I just came from that site with over 137,000 scripts on over 5,000 pages.
I'll need a clue as to how we do business there.
Got any tips>

Slow version:

1) Do you use Internet Explorer?
No -> Proceed to Step 2
Yes -> Give up

2) Do you use Firefox, (or other Mozilla based browser, eg. Pale Moon, CyberFox)?
No -> Proceed to Step 3
Yes -> Install GreaseMonkey addon, proceed to Step 4

3) Do you use Chrome, (or other Chrome based browser, eg. Soft Iron, Comodo Dragon)?
No -> I give up
Yes -> Install TamperMonkey, proceed to Step 4

4) Go to this website: nolazyload @ Userscripts mirror

5) Click big green Install button on top right of page.

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #626 on: August 01, 2014, 10:56 AM »
S................l..................o...................w................e..........................r      please!
 ;D

hehehe..........

Got it thanks, it's the same dance we danced before except for the nolazyload script. I had searched the world over and down cellar for disable lazyload with negative results. Then the NoScript thingy in FF wouldn't let the nolazyload script load.

BUT....... nolazyload works........
Saving one of How-to-Geeks tutorials as htm file the includes folder contains all the images, full size, that without the script, you didn't get.
Works in FF...
Works in Chrome....
No images when you open saved html page in IE11.
Thanks again.....
 :Thmbsup:

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #627 on: August 01, 2014, 12:14 PM »
important link if you ever want to install a userscript:  
>>http://userscripts-m...pts/show/487275.html<<
@Curt: How did you find out about that mirror? It seems to have been a little-known item, which always makes me curious.

ghacks: http://www.ghacks.ne...g-good-alternatives/

userscripts.org seems to just have gone. Well, there are some alternatives.
http://wiki.greasesp.../User_Script_Hosting

Are any of you going to edit that wiki.greasespot page, and paste in the "http://userscripts-m...pts/show/487275.html"-link, please? I don't have an account because I don't understand a fraction of what they are doing, so it ought to be done by one of you guys. ;-)

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #628 on: August 01, 2014, 03:08 PM »
Anyone familiar with WinHTTrack
I just mirrored that user script site.
I have something in excess of 137,000 scripts.
Now, I think I need an expert from out of town, A Philadelphia lawyer, or both?
Any ideas??? :-[

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #630 on: August 05, 2014, 12:36 AM »
My interest in extensions was limited to one that would defeat HTGs "lazyload". Once the subject was opened I got the idea that many people were looking for particular extensions, as I was, and sources were drying up.
That user script mirror was advertising 137,000 user scripts with no search available. Having used WinHT in the past I decided to give it a shot. After 3 hrs and 20 mins downloading, thousands of 404s. thousands of 0 byte files, and Avast going stark, raving ape, blocking malware, I stopped and checked my bounty.
Scripts going back to 2005, plus the other problems made the decision to dump the whole package really easy.
Just pulling down .js files was an idea. Plugged it in again and what I got this time was no better.
The scripts come down identified by a number, user script.xxxxxx.js, with no way to know what you were looking at. Dumped the whole package again!
There is nothing at that mirror site that's of any value, or use, to anyone! Game over! :(

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #631 on: August 12, 2014, 04:50 PM »
I am very grateful for the mirror-userscript "site". It is merely a static picture from the beginning of June 2014, but it is so much better than no userscripts at all. I am especially pleased with KarmaDecay "Reverse image search of Reddit": http://karmadecay.com/browser-tools
----------------

Back to what this thread is about. Here is my newest list from Pale Moon 24.5 > Add-ons Manager > Extension List Dumper:

((as time is passing, more and more addons are said to be outdated. However, if you begin with installing Nightly Tester Tool (from https://addons.mozil...ightly-tester-tools/ ) and click "force compatibility", all will be well; the old addons are not too old! The biggest problem may be the growing number of abandoned homepages that I have not (yet) replaced with the equivalent Mozilla link))

2015-03-30: *Firefox 36.0.4 broke a number of my listed addons*

List of my extensions
Application: Pale Moon 24.5.0 (20140419165855)
Operating System: WINNT (x86-msvc)

-------------
modified:
It is working fine, but because Download Statusbar not has been updated for 2½ years, I have now replaced it with been testing the more advanced Download Status Bar, https://addons.mozil.../download-status-bar. I'll stay with the abandoned for a while. The new boy in town is https://addons.mozil...3download-statusbar/
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:02 AM by Curt »

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #632 on: August 12, 2014, 05:25 PM »
Curt, you must be a Wizard??  :huh:

137,000 scripts on that site and NO search.
How do you find anything?
Over 5,000 pages to scroll through  :down:

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #633 on: August 12, 2014, 06:56 PM »
Curt, thanks for your list. I recently changed to PaleMoon and will be checking these out.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Install Greenhouse | Expose Political Corruption
« Reply #634 on: August 13, 2014, 08:46 AM »
This could be a very useful Firefox add-on for those US users who want to "follow the money": Install Greenhouse | Expose Political Corruption

Very nifty.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
WikiWand=Wikipedia, but with a modern interface
« Reply #636 on: August 14, 2014, 05:37 PM »
WikiWand = Wikipedia, But With A Modern Interface
http://www.wikiwand.com/
https://addons.mozil...wikipedia-modernized

http://www.techsuppo...modern-interface.htm :
WikiWand
(...)
Wikiwand (www.wikiwand.com) is a web site which skins the standard Wikipedia content with a much more modern and professional look and feel.  Instead of browsing the online encyclopaedia via the normal wikipedia.org address, use www.wikiwand.com instead.  You get the same content, but with a much better presentation (as you can see from the screen shot below).

2014-08-15_002635.gifFirefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful

There's also a free browser add-in which, the makers claim, allow pages to load around 3 times faster.  But even without the add-in, Wikiwand certainly does do a great job of bringing an internet institution up to date.  And because of all Wikipedia's content is freely licenced, there are no legal issues over copyright.
-techsupportalert

The extension will per default not install in Pale Moon (=Firefox 24="too old"), but if you force it to install, it will work just fine with PaleMoon as well. We are not too old.

wikiwandExtension.gif

I find it interesting that Wikipedia is not visited - the WikiWand add-on will re-direct the user to the WikiWand site which is simply a mirror of Wikipedia - but with just one click the user can go to the same article in Wikipedia.

--------------------
modified: Argh, I forgot a central part, didn't I:

An important point of the extension is that every time there is a wikipedia link in Google's search result, the add-on will automatically redirect you to the WikiWand site. Otherwise the procedure would of course be too slow.
--------------------------
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 02:13 AM by Curt »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #637 on: August 14, 2014, 06:23 PM »
It's pretty.

But it's slow.

I guess you could say "it's pretty slow."  ;) ;D

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #638 on: August 15, 2014, 02:10 AM »
-did you maybe go without the extension? Of course the site can never be as fast as the much simpler original, but with the extension, I thought it was almost fast. I have removed it, because I like the old look.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 02:17 AM by Curt »

silat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #639 on: August 16, 2014, 07:40 AM »
Fastest Search
ScrapBook X
All-in-One Sidebar
Classic Theme Restorer
S3.Menu Wizard
Restartless Restart
Session Manager
Stay-Open Menu
Tab Grenade
Tab Mix Plus
Textarea Cache

Copy Link URL
Copy Plain Text
Copy Urls Expert

These 2 work together:
Go Parent Folder
Show Parent Folder

"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason."  - Abraham Lincoln

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #640 on: August 16, 2014, 04:30 PM »
I like that Tab Grenade.  Seems to work fine in Cyberfox x64 31.0.1

silat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #641 on: August 17, 2014, 02:22 AM »
I like that Tab Grenade.  Seems to work fine in Cyberfox x64 31.0.1

Yes that is a great one. Keeps the links thru shutdowns.
I really have learned to love Fastest Search too. It has a learning curve, but is worth it.
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason."  - Abraham Lincoln

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #642 on: August 17, 2014, 07:06 PM »
I really have learned to love Fastest Search too. It has a learning curve, but is worth it.

Thanks for mentioning this -- I'm trying it out for the regular expression search capabilities.  There seems to be a lot of functionality in this add-on.

Anyone suggest an alternative that does only (or mostly) just searching with the option of using regular expressions?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #643 on: August 21, 2014, 11:09 PM »
Could be useful. As a result of reading the comment below, regarding a post at techsupportalert.com on Ghostery, I am now trialling Privacy Badger | EFF (It's in ß, for Firefox and Chrome):
by famewolf on 20. August 2014 - 18:47  (118098)
I personally prefer Privacy Badger by the electronic frontier foundation (the name in privacy on the web in my opinion..they don't use your data for anything). https://www.eff.org/privacybadger

From their F.A.Q.:

What is Privacy Badger?

Privacy Badger is a browser add-on that stops advertisers and other third-party trackers from secretly tracking where you go and what pages you look at on the web. If an advertiser seems to be tracking you across multiple websites without your permission, Privacy Badger automatically blocks that advertiser from loading any more content in your browser. To the advertiser, it's like you suddenly disappeared.

How is Privacy Badger different to Disconnect, Adblock Plus, Ghostery, and other blocking extensions?

Privacy Badger was born out of our desire to be able to recommend a single extension that would automatically analyze and block any tracker or ad that violated the principle of user consent; which could function well without any settings, knowledge or configuration by the user; which is produced by an organization that is unambiguously working for its users rather than for advertisers; and which uses algorithmic methods to decide what is and isn't tracking.

Although we like Disconnect, Adblock Plus, Ghostery and similar products (in fact Privacy Badger is based on the ABP code!), none of them are exactly what we were looking for. In our testing, all of them required some custom configuration to block non-consensual trackers. Several of these extensions have business models that we weren't entirely comfortable with. And EFF hopes that by developing rigorous algorithmic and policy methods for detecting and preventing non-consensual tracking, we'll produce a codebase that could in fact be adopted by those other extensions, or by mainstream browsers, to give users maximal control over who does and doesn't get to know what they do online.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 08:00 AM by IainB »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #644 on: August 22, 2014, 02:45 AM »
^ Privacy Badger sounds good Iain -
and nice to know you can pretty much completely trust the source :up:
Tom

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #645 on: August 22, 2014, 06:04 AM »
I like this idea.  I'm trying it out.  One thing though, the Toolbar Button scheme could make it more obvious what the traffic light color is.  I think it's green.  But if it's yellow I might not know the difference.

Edit: In chrome is pops out a green blob.  Much more obvious.

Edit2:  So far this is working very nicely.  My SAS and MBAM scans are coming up clean instead of showing the usual 52 tracking cookies.   :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 04:31 PM by MilesAhead »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #646 on: August 28, 2014, 04:00 AM »
You read a long text. You need to scroll in the text - and then you need to return. But now it seems the line has left the page! Where is it?
You need TextMarker Go!

I have come to like TextMarker Go. Remembering Ctrl+Shift+F9 and F2, makes it so much easier to temporary leave the paragraph you're reading in a long text and later on instantly come back to the very same line.

https://addons.mozil...addon/textmarker-go/

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #647 on: August 28, 2014, 09:52 PM »
I use a different strategy for this type of situation when using some text editors -- creating a new view of the same document and navigating in the new one.  For Firefox, something similar used to be possible with an extension that allowed one to split the currently visible window / tab (?).  Not sure if this is still possible...

Update: I think the following or its predecessor was what I used:

Fox Splitter

Update 2: Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to work with FF 31.0...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 02:58 AM by ewemoa »

silat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #648 on: September 03, 2014, 12:03 AM »
I use a different strategy for this type of situation when using some text editors -- creating a new view of the same document and navigating in the new one.  For Firefox, something similar used to be possible with an extension that allowed one to split the currently visible window / tab (?).  Not sure if this is still possible...

Update: I think the following or its predecessor was what I used:

Fox Splitter

Update 2: Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to work with FF 31.0...

Fox Splitter was a fine add-on. Too bad it has not been upgraded.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #649 on: September 03, 2014, 05:19 AM »
Fox Splitter was a fine add-on. Too bad it has not been upgraded.

Have you tried hacking the MaxVersion number?  I think that's all they did for the SyncPlaces group of AddOns to "update" them.  Although the CheckPlaces favicon fetch doesn't seem to work anymore.  I use FavIconReloader.

Editing an add-on to change its compatibility