ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful

<< < (76/192) > >>

Innuendo:
The weird thing is in FF beta it doesn't even show in the AddOns list.  Creepy.-MilesAhead (October 17, 2009, 06:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

That IS creepy. Must have slipped through the cracks as 3.5.3 popped up a dialog and did a "we're going to disable this and you don't have a choice" thing.

Carol Haynes:
In Firefox 3.5.3 yesterday I got the automatic disabling MS .Net Framework Assistant yesterday and it is listed in my Add-on as "Disabled for your protection" and there is a link to an explanation.

Ironically clicking the link brought a bad certificate error and I had to add a security exception in Firefox before I was allowed to view the page. The page lists all add-ons that will be forcibly killed of in Firefox without user intervention and links to an explanation page.

The two pages are:

https://www.mozilla.com/en-US/blocklist/

and

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=522777

The other thing that was disabled was "Windows Presentation Foundation" but I can't see any reference to that now in my Add-ons list.

Was this a plugin to the MS .NET framework assistant or a visible plugin to Firefox? The last link seems to suggest it was a plugin for the ,Net assistant ???

Out of curiosity what happens now if you visit websites that depend on .Net and what happens when MS issue a fix for the possible remote control exploit Mozilla are trying to remove?

Does anyone find ironic that having systematically screwed up Internet Explorer security for years, opening up computers to massive numbers of exploits, MS are now installing add-ons into 3rd party applications unbidden and introducing the same security issues in other people's software. Call me a conspiracy theorist but does this sound a little planned to make sure any security issues in IE also affect Firefox so that MS isn't disadvantaged in the browser wars!

Innuendo:
Ironically clicking the link brought a bad certificate error and I had to add a security exception in Firefox before I was allowed to view the page.-Carol Haynes (October 18, 2009, 04:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't know what the significance is, but when I clicked that link yesterday I did not receive a bad certificate error. Everything loaded up normally. :: shrug ::

Call me a conspiracy theorist but does this sound a little planned to make sure any security issues in IE also affect Firefox so that MS isn't disadvantaged in the browser wars!

--- End quote ---

I honestly don't know what they were/are trying to accomplish with that extension. Comparing my browser experience before the extension was installed, after it was installed, and after it was removed I noticed no discernible difference at all in where I surfed or what actions I performed in my browser.

It could have been an extension that had the one and only function of waiting for the name Bill Gates to appear on web pages and change the text to Bill "Who's Yo' Daddy?" Gates and it would have exhibited more change in my browsing behavior than what it really was there for. The description in the extensions list mentioned something about providing "Click Once" functionality...whatever that is.

MilesAhead:
To me the main inconvenience was getting a notice to restart.  At least googling brought up information to fix it right away. At first I thought it was because I updated to Firefox 3.6 Beta 1, but I still had a Minefield 3.6Pre installed and got the same issue.  Otherwise I probably would have run around removing the 3.6 betas for nothing.

The other thing disquieting is because of PatchGuard things like Sandboxie won't work.  They say 64 bit is already protected so you don't need Sandboxie.  But it's funny how Registry hacks seem to get through easily enough.  I had one earlier something about ShellNoChange or something where I couldn't delete files even with one of those unlocker delete on next reboot utilities.  And now this one puts those CLSIDs in the registry without notice.  Doesn't seem all that secure to me.  Don't recall getting those registry hacks when browsing sandboxed.

Lately I've been making image backups closer together.  About the only thing to do at this point.

f0dder:
They say 64 bit is already protected so you don't need Sandboxie.-MilesAhead (October 18, 2009, 04:30 PM)
--- End quote ---
64bit itself doesn't offer much in regards to protection unless you're running UAC (or, in case of XP, a limited user account) - PatchGuard is a decent thing, but it's a damn shame MS aren't offering legitimate hook points for it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version