ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Meme time! Five Things People Don't Know About Me

<< < (7/19) > >>

CWuestefeld:
It's a shame to follow down this dark path, but this is actually an interesting story. I went to school with someone who ran away, later to be convicted of taking part in a semi-famous murder. In 1982, three gay prostitutes from New York City (one of them my schoolmate) went down to Florida and murdered one of their clients, the "junk food professor" from the University of Florida. The case was rendered more bizarre by the means of killing, and strange stuff like writing "redrum" on the walls. This was all written up in Newsweek, was notorious enough to be discussed on web sites like the one linked below.

I won't offer any quotes or post photos, because it's a little disturbing and anyway, it would hijack the thread.

Full story here

40hz:
app: #4. You too? :)
-40hz (February 01, 2009, 02:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have actually been driven home (forcefully) by the police in my town on more than one occasion, for being the "crazy lady" out for a leisurely stroll at 4am during a blizzard.  ;D :-[
-app103 (February 01, 2009, 03:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

You definitely don't live where I do. If one of our local constabulary did that, they'd be civil-righted all the way to the nearest judge.

I have, however, been 'pulled over' a few times, asked for ID, and made to chat a bit before the officer was convinced I was neither drunk nor crazy. (I rarely am. ;))

But on the positive side, I also once got invited to a party by a tough (but cute) little blonde-with-a-badge on one of those strolls. Wound up talking to Ladycop for quite a while. She found it "intriguing" (her word) that somebody would actually be walking around in a snowstorm by choice.

She seemed rather nice. Too bad she missed the 70's. She would have liked them. :P

app103:
app: #4. You too? :)
-40hz (February 01, 2009, 02:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have actually been driven home (forcefully) by the police in my town on more than one occasion, for being the "crazy lady" out for a leisurely stroll at 4am during a blizzard.  ;D :-[
-app103 (February 01, 2009, 03:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

You definitely don't live where I do. If one of our local constabulary did that, they'd be civil-righted all the way to the nearest judge.
-40hz (February 02, 2009, 07:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

There is laws here that when an official snow emergency is declared, everyone is to be off the streets. They have the right to impound your car and drive you to the nearest shelter if they catch you driving in it.

Off the streets is off the streets, and they do give you a few choices:

* a shelter (if you don't live in town)
* your home (if you do)
* the local jail (if you refuse to cooperate)
The police are always afraid that reduced visibility is going to lead to me being run over by a salt truck or something. I have been told that if I stay on my own block they will leave me alone.

I found that staying off the main streets usually means they will leave me alone. It's only when I start craving donuts that I end up on the main street, and usually driven home by 2 officers that happened to stop for coffee at the same time & place that I showed up for a freshly made donut.  ;D

40hz:
The police are always afraid that reduced visibility is going to lead to me being run over by a salt truck or something. I have been told that if I stay on my own block they will leave me alone.
-app103 (February 02, 2009, 10:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Where's the fun in that?

We all know the "best" windows to peek in are located at least 3 blocks away! (uh...kidding...just kidding...) ;D

zridling:
Five more things. I'm so strange I could keep this going for years.

(1) My mom is typical: she asks me to call her all the time. On the other hand, my mom is atypical: when I do get around to calling her, she starts making excuses to get off the phone within five minutes. (I call her once every six months or less. The occasional letter is better.)

(2) I dislike trivia games because I feel life's too short to spend it remembering most minutia.

(3) I was on the 'Bozo the Clown' show as a kid once. It was not nearly as fun as watching it on the TV. They taped an entire month's worth of shows in one day and we were herded into the little stands, asked questions, told to scream in delight, and then get the hell off the stage. Turned out Bozo was an insurance salesman who was arrested for being a peeping Tom in his other life.

(4) I taught statistics as a college instructor for years at schools throughout the US Midwest. Loved the job, hated the pay. Never had the ambition to become a professor; besides, the wife's career turned out to have a much better future.

(5) I was in love with my very cute cousin from when I was 9 to 11 years old. We were born on the same day in the same year. We pretended to secretly 'date' for almost two years at family gatherings. I don't regret it. She's still freakin' hot! Now, we laugh about it to this day and wonder what could have come from forbidden tween love other than genetic disaster. (Don't you judge me! She looked like this).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version