ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > DC Website Help and Extras

Fundraiser discussion.. again.. need help with ideas

(1/5) > >>

mouser:
Every 6 months or so i seem to think it's time to do a dc fundraiser but then chicken out..  well it's that time again.
Anyway i was thinking actually of just biting the bullet and doing it in feb (or march).

What i wanted to get feedback about is.. I was thinking of a couple of ideas.  In the past we had a big giveaway of donated software licenses.. i think we will skip that this year, mostly because it takes so long to organize, but also because i think it's just one more thing to try to explain which gets confusing.

However, i was thinking maybe it's a good opportunity to experiment with something else.. what if during the fundraiser month we said that if people chose not to donate we would still give them a lifetime non-expiring license key?

Is that defeating the purpose? It's kind of like an anti-incentive to donate so maybe it doesn't make any sense.. but i was thinking it would at least communicate to people that we are pure in our intentions and get more people to actually visit the site and give us a look.

Or is there something else interesting we could do?

mouser:
Another thing is i think for the first time we should have a thermometer fundraising goal thing showing how much we've raised.
Makes me nervous since it seems like it will always seem like too little or too much, but let's give it a try and see.
As for where to set the goal of amount to raise.. i was thinking we would use our yearly hosting costs which is something like $5000 a year; we might actually make that the half way point just to be optimistic.

Sample banner idea:

Another (background text and image would be removed for real version):

the 2nd one is actually easier to integrate into the site since it would replace the normal site banner on all pages, including forum.

Darwin:
what if during the fundraiser month we said that if people chose not to donate we would still give them a lifetime non-expiring license key?

Is that defeating the purpose? It's kind of like an anti-incentive to donate so maybe it doesn't make any sense..
-mouser (January 30, 2009, 11:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes! It is a disincentive to donating...

Would it be difficult to set up one year non-expiring licenses (instead of the six months usually given) on DC apps? You're still showing good faith that way and encouraging people to try the apps and the boards longer so that they *might* then be moved to donate a year from now... Probably not actually as a good percentage of people who do not donate under the current model will never donate, no matter what you do.

Alternatively, you could give away free lifetime licenses for a 24 hour period during the drive. How about holding it in March and doing the giveaway on the fourth anniversary of DC going live (March 13th, isn't it?).

Just some random and convoluted thoughts  :o

mouser:
Would it be difficult to set up one year non-expiring licenses (instead of the six months usually given) on DC apps?
--- End quote ---
no, that's easy to do.

Alternatively, you could give away free lifetime licenses for a 24 hour period during the drive. How about holding it in March and doing the giveaway on the fourth anniversary of DC going live (March 13th, isn't it?).
--- End quote ---
fundraiser in march celebrating anniversary with giveaway on that day is not a bad idea..

mouser:
is there anything special we could give to donators during the fundraiser?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version