ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Cleaning Inside the Case

<< < (5/8) > >>

cranioscopical:
killed one cpu in one machine and almost certainly killed a stick of ram from cleaning out computer cases with a brush
-nudone (January 31, 2009, 12:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

It can be a ticklish operation!

Edvard:
maybe i was unlucky, maybe i was dumb (or both).

but i'm pretty sure i've killed one cpu in one machine and almost certainly killed a stick of ram from cleaning out computer cases with a brush (a soft large paint brush).

so i'd be extra careful when you are using those vacuum cleaner attachments with the brushes on them. maybe they aren't meant to be used inside the case.
-nudone (January 31, 2009, 12:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'd almost certainly attribute your misfortune to static charges that can build up between the fine hairs those nice paint brushes are made of and the most common materials found inside a computer. See here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triboelectric_effect
The farther away two materials are from each other on the Triboelectric Series list, the more likely and larger the static charge they may build up.
The brushes most often sold for use inside a computer case are supposed to be static-neutral (closer together on the Tribolectric Series) WRT the environment you'd be using them in.
Your point is valid, however and just to be safe, it would probably be a good idea to keep one hand on an unpainted area of your case or use one of those geeky wrist straps when doing anything inside there.

techidave:
Nod5, any online site for that?
-Paul Keith (January 31, 2009, 12:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

try Metrovac

wreckedcarzz:
--- End quote ---

try Metrovac
-techidave (January 31, 2009, 09:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/SearchDetail.asp?productID=371&curpage=2

URL fixed :)

Nod5:
--- End quote ---
I've seen it on sale online, only in physical stores. But techidave's metrovac above looks very similar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version