ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Going Into Frugality Mode -- What are your Tricks and Tips

<< < (9/17) > >>

Darwin:
I like to buy a decent a car and then keep it for as long as I reasonably can... I'm not keen on change.
At least now is a great time to buy.  Some dealers have inventory stacked to the rafters,  with existing contracts for more.
-cranioscopical (January 31, 2009, 02:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah... it's sad actually. We have a friend who's just immigrated from Korea and we've been out car shopping. EVERY dealership is a ghost town and the sales people VERY eager to please... I found it quite embarrassing, actually (eg. one sales person at Honda said:"Any offer will be appreciated" and then went on mumbling indistinctly, but the overall message was one of desperation. In fairness, I got the impression that he was new, but still...).

iphigenie:
We've also always functioned on one car, and always bought fairly old but solid cars (but also ones known to be economical on the petrol comsumption side). I'm not sure how sustainable this can be going forward as my impression is that recent generation of cars, even expensive ones, were not built to last in the same way as they were until the mid nineties (perhaps a little later).

mahesh2k:
Mouser,Nice thread. :)

Some of my tips :

- Avoid printing if you can. That will save electricity/paper/cartridge costs.
- Avoid making phone calls if you can short-message/IM etc.
- Walk the distance if you can instead of using car/bike.
- Avoid Spicy/Junk Food, that will help to your health and pocket.
- Prefer Unlimited broadband internet instead of /mb based plans.Will save money of you're aggressive down loader :p
- Form group with likeminded people and avoid spending on things which all you hate e.g. Movies, Music Cd's etc.
- Avoid Alcohol, Tobaco and other addictive things they just hurt you anway.
- Avoid credit card purchase, and buy only when you need it. Don't shop in advance for some things.

Also try Zenhabits blog, leo babuta writes a lot on minimalistic life. You can get more such tips from him.

cranioscopical:
This is all very interesting and useful but I'm surprised to see that, so far, nobody has mentioned the obvious:

* avoid running a donation-funded web site
 :o

edbro:
- Stay away from Costco unless you have the willpower to only buy what you went in for.

- Stop looking at Slickdeals.net and Fatwallet.com. I'm going broke saving money from these deals.

- Force myself to wait 2 days when I find something that I "just gotta have". Usually, the overpowering urge is not there after a couple of days.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version