ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Going Into Frugality Mode -- What are your Tricks and Tips

<< < (3/17) > >>

Perry Mowbray:
I think it's even worse than your examples illustrate.  More and more i see evidence of companies and services charging fees that they KNOW are erroneous -- and it's just a matter of letting those who catch the error complain, at which point they remove the charge without issue.  Then the rest of the people who never notice.. they pay the price.
-mouser (January 26, 2009, 05:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

We recently read Tim Harford's The Underground Economist [Amazon Link] and found it to be a very revealing book! Helps us decide if we were being ripped off and to make better purchasing decisions. I highly recommend it.

Perry Mowbray:
Three months ago I decided to record what we harvest from our home garden. Always wanted to know what the financial benefits of the home garden were.

I was surprised to see that in one quarter that we'd harvested $219 worth of fruit and vegetables (using averaged prices)!

Admittedly, a good proportion of that was Raspberries (which are expensive here), which we probably would not have bought anyway, but when you're being frugal treats like this completely transform the humdrum that you normally would have been confined to  :D

cranioscopical:

I'm probably preaching to the choir round here but...

If you're a meat eater, drop it from your diet.
Meat's expensive, vegetables aren't nor are (some) alternative sources of protein.

Edvard:
I'm probably preaching to the choir round here but...

If you're a meat eater, drop it from your diet.
Meat's expensive, vegetables aren't nor are (some) alternative sources of protein.
-cranioscopical (January 26, 2009, 06:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't know where you are, but up here in the Great Northwest, vegetables are a spendy proposition for daily consumption. I know, because my wife recently had her gall bladder removed and complications from it are turning her to a fresh vegetable and juice diet. Not cheap.
Now to be fair, meat is expensive, but I never understood how come the warmed-over goo they so graciously pre-package for you is pennies by comparison.

So... eat Ramen, Mac & Cheese, bread from the "day old" shelf and you'll probably save a bunch.
And for the love of your pocketbook, don't eat at restaurants.  :o

cranioscopical:
Now to be fair, meat is expensive, but I never understood how come the warmed-over goo they so graciously pre-package for you is pennies by comparison.-Edvard (January 26, 2009, 07:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nor do you want to understand if you plan on eating it...   ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version