ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Going Into Frugality Mode -- What are your Tricks and Tips

<< < (11/17) > >>

CleverCat:
Mum grew up during WW2 in the UK - she's about as frugal as they come and make a roast turkey feed the 2 of us for a long time! Even strips the bones to make turkey burgers and boils them for stock!

My tip - I've given up using expensive perfume and buy Johnsons Baby Cologne. At R15 ($1.50) a bottle you can afford to have 2 different scents and alternate and it lasts forever! And you smell good.... :Thmbsup:

Crush:
I never use shaving-creams - you additional need a lot of water. But you don´t need to stop shaving. I´m switching each 2-3 days between the cheapest plastic shavers (only using water and they´re often good enough for several weeks) and my electric shaver that works for a very long time without changing the scissors!

We also like it very much to visit regularly second hand trade fairs.

f0dder:
I have a pretty standard Gilette razor and switch blades every 1-2 months, and I use foam or gel. If I don't use that, or try using the cheap plastic razors, things get pretty darn messy and bloody :). Helps a lot shaving in the shower, and getting the skin hot and moist before shaving (that sounded a lot kinkier than it is >_<). I calculated the costs of shaving and iirc it was something around $5/month, which isn't worth obsessing that much about (sure, everything adds up, but I particularly value a good close clean shave without blood :)).

ewemoa:
What I've tried for the last year or so is to use a single cheap razor in the shower -- so just warm water, a hand mirror, some lighting, and a bit of patience.  I haven't gotten the cleanest shave, but then using some other methods hadn't succeeded in that either ;)

CWuestefeld:
Here's another tip: avoid the top-brand products.

For example, there's no reason to spend $300+ on an iPod. You could have another device that at least matches the quality and features for 1/3 that price tag, if you look around.

This logic applies all over the place. I mean, sure a BMW might be a better car in some sense compared to my Subaru (although I doubt it). But to achieve a level of performance equal to what I've got you're going to have to spend at least double what I paid. And even if the BMW quality is higher, there's no way that it's twice as good in any objective sense.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version