ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Using a Desktop Search through the network

<< < (3/4) > >>

vixay:
I use Locate32 for the same. Though it only helps for one user... you could setup something complicated by deploying to other computers and accessing the database from a central location. Had something like that done for a client. You can check out their forums for some nice networking help as well. Maybe one day i'll write a mini-review about that, or a network searching article.
Anyway try it out, and maybe a less hassle solution would be better for you.

aenache36:
Greetings.

If you need:
1. free software
2. able to index usual file types and mail(Outlook mainly)
3. able to index web sites
4. able to index network mapped drives
5. able to handle vast amount of documents
6. (very) short learning time
7. the possibility to use the computer all the time(X1/Copernic users know what I am talking about...)
8. client - server(excellent for LAN/ corporate use)
9. Boolean syntax supported, proximity/fuzzy search included
10. Open source/ OS independent(more or less)
11. superb visual display of the results

you might take a look at one marvelous product called AutoFocus, more info you can find at ADUNA.

HTH

peter moore:
or you check this one: Lookeen
it´s a outlook-searchtool but it also can be used for normal file-types and it even searches within this files...
it works only with outlook (could be a little disadvantage, but at work, outlook is used the whole day, so this won´t be problem)

greets

edit by jgpaiva: removed link

jgpaiva:
peter moore: I believe you're trying to push Looken. It is not adequate for the original question, as it can't search files a whole computer, let alone a few computers connected in LAN.

Of your four posts, three are about looken. Thus, I can only conclude you're trying to advertise this product even in situations where it doesn't make any sense. Furthermore, you're not stating your affiliation with looken, which goes against the forum's rules.
It's a dishonest practice, and I wouldn't buy software from a company which works like that. Probably if they're bringing in users by fooling them, they aren't producing quality software.

Stoic Joker:
20 machines running (constantly reindexing) a "desktop" search across the wire?!? Zoikes!

When letting the Xerox rep talk us into using their ScanFlowStore software for our paperless service ticket system I was actually stuck with the exact same question. It seems Xerox (the SFS people actually) had spent their time creating a truly flexible metadata based document indexing system ... and just not gotten around to doing a search app just yet. The rep suggested we use Google Desktop, which I politely told him was a totally retarded idea.

What I did do was leverage the completely included with Windows (and fairly customizable) indexing service to create a single index catalog on the file server which can be searched in either a plain text or SQL-esq fashion using the Query the Catalog part of the Indexing Service MMC snap-in. I did end up having to write a small search GUI for the office staff to connect to the remote catalog but the system has been working perfectly for about 3 years now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version