ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Qt now also licensed under the LGPL

<< < (3/3)

mouser:
I believe, and i'm no expert on these things, that the significant difference in moving Qt from GPL to LGPL is that you can now use the Qt library in a closed source (or whatever) application, as long as you make open source any changes you make to the Qt library itself.

In the past, under a GPL license, if you used Qt in your application, your application essentially also became entirely GPL open source.

That may not be exactly right but i think that's the basic gist of it.  Maybe others can correct anything i got wrong.

Ehtyar:
Yes, provided you dynamically link the the LGPL'd code. If you want to use static linking, you must at least provide the object files of your application so that they may be linked against a newer version of the LGPL'd library. Sillyness.

Ehtyar.

f0dder:
Yes, provided you dynamically link the the LGPL'd code. If you want to use static linking, you must at least provide the object files of your application so that they may be linked against a newer version of the LGPL'd library. Sillyness.-Ehtyar (January 19, 2009, 12:49 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, that's lame - some people fortunately add a "static-linking-is-OK" clause, though :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version