ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Difference between Anonymity and Privacy

<< < (2/2)

40hz:
Spider Robinson once observed that "Nothing good ever survives being discovered."

-or- as Yogi Berra so aptly put it: It got so popular that nobody goes there anymore.

Interesting notion. I wonder why that seems, so often, to be true...

Target:
i suspect it has to do with us being so 'fashion conscious', and by that I mean we (as a society) are always looking for (demanding?) new things (witness our proliferation of gadgets, or look at the fashion or music industries... actually all those things are probably the same anyway  ;D).

In practice this means that the herd congregates at the latest and greatest - a constantly moving target.

often there is no good reason for the herd to move, it can be triggered by a single opinion expressed at the right place and time, regardless of the validity or substance of said opinion

Having said that it's also true that as the congregation increases, the destination becomes less attractive to those who perhaps consider themselves to be at the front of the pack.  Of course when they (inevitably) move on, the herd follows

watch long enough and the cyclical nature of this behaviour is apparent, and while the 'cycles' may be purely arbitrary (we're nothing if not fickle) the same things tend to come in and out of fashion over time.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version