ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Complaints about Direct Access Text Expander Taking Ideas from Others - Split Topic

<< < (2/9) > >>

cranioscopical:
To:
BartelsMedia
and
nagar

May I advance a personal point of view?

While watching a little of your bickering might be entertaining, I do wish, now, that both of you would squabble somewhere else.

I, for one, am perfectly capable of looking at two pieces of software and forming my own opinions.
Perhaps I am alone in this view but, then again, perhaps not.

It doesn't matter to me who began this but I'd certainly appreciate a tie if you'd both drop it at the same time.

All the best to you both for 2009!

Darwin:
Thanks, Chris. This exchange has been making me a tad uncomfortable as well   :o I appreciate the frustrations on both sides, but perhaps this conversation can be moved to a private forum (e-mail, PM, etc.).

Having said that, I always appreciate having developers participating in our discussions.

cranioscopical:
I always appreciate having developers participating in our discussions.
-Darwin (January 12, 2009, 07:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Indeed, it's great when they do.  And I very much appreciate developers' posts.

I hope both will continue to participate, constructively.

J-Mac:
Thanks, Chris. This exchange has been making me a tad uncomfortable as well   :o I appreciate the frustrations on both sides, but perhaps this conversation can be moved to a private forum (e-mail, PM, etc.).

Having said that, I always appreciate having developers participating in our discussions.
-Darwin (January 12, 2009, 07:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Car crash/trainwreck syndrome, eh? A "tad uncomfortable", but you just can't turn away from it, or avert your gaze. No?   8)

Jim

mouser:
A couple of thoughts off the top of my head, some of which are contradictory:

* I think the general sentiment from dc posters is that we would rather not see this particular argument continue here, because it seems like it's one of those arguments that is going to get personal and ugly if it continues.
* I think everyone has made the point they feel like they need to make -- my general feeling with such arguments is that sometimes even though something makes you uncomfortable it's important to let people at least make their case before you curtail discussion.
* There is a substantive and very complicated muddy issue being raised here, the idea of ideas started in one program being used in other programs..  This is such a sticky wicket that trying to discuss it on a thread like this is, in my view, inappropriate.  It might be a good subject for a separate discussion that doesnt focus on one particular program.
* Trying to look at things from both sides.. i know that both of these programs have fans, and for good reason.  I can see how both sides would feel offended by the other -- and i'm not in any position to take sides or decide who is "right" or "wrong".
* DC readers are intelligent enough to research the issue and continue the debates on the company websites if they wish, so there is no need to beat dead horse here.
We welcome both companies to participate at DC --but i think we should ask them both to respect the fact that their positions have been advanced now, and that it would be unreasonable/unacceptable for either party to make an attempt to "disrupt" the other person's threads going forward -- in other words, without saying anything about what has been written so far, i'd ask both people to avoid engaging in a tit-for-tat continuous process of arguing on each others threads.  Have faith that the DC readers will learn about both programs and decide which is best for them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version