ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Complaints about Direct Access Text Expander Taking Ideas from Others - Split Topic

(1/9) > >>

bmms:
Normally, we do not comment competitor's products. But in this particular case we kindly ask you to check out this video:
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=t36Omxil0Dw&fmt=18

There are many more conincidences if you compare the version history of both products.

That is, why we would like to give all DonationCoders 70% discount on the brand-new version 6 of PhraseExpress. This is less than $15!

Simply use the discount coupon "donationcoder" at http://shop.phraseexpress.com. The coupon is valid through January 2009.

PhraseExpress is even free-of-charge for personal use. More info at http://www.phraseexpress.com/freeware.htm

nagar:
Hey, I really feel chased by this guy. Wherever I post there another post of his telling me that I copied his product. I really don't understand.  :(
It feels like he's very frustrated to me.

bmms:
Andrea, it is not about "frustration" or "chasing", it is about ethics. Continuous stealing of ideas is unethical.

Watch the video. Or compare the version histories over the years. You lack creativity so much that you steal even marketing concepts letter-by-letter.

Evidence required?!

1. Our website since January 17

2. Your website on Januar 25

...and suddenly a few days later (See "RSI syndrome").

And this is just one out of many "similarities".

Andrea, competition in general is not an issue. There is AutoHotKey, ActiveWords, SmartKey, Typing Assistant, AsUType, LetmeType and so on. You will not find us worry about these products which are all more or less distinctive.

Users have a smart sense whether a programmer has fully understood a feature and crafted it thoughtful with a bigger picture in mind or whether it is just a knock-off which tries to imitate superficially. The problem is that a copycat often ignore the "big picture" behind a long-term strategy and is rather busy with following others while realizing of always being 12 to 18 months behind. I will not comment on your product’s quality but I am certain that you completely understand what I mean.

We will give-away PhraseExpress wherever you post about DirectAccess until you re-think your business ethics. It was a "nice" move from you to even use the same hotkey associations as in PhraseExpress. Along with our DirectAccess import feature it will make it easier for the users to switch.

nagar:
Well, do it as you like. User will judge for themselves. Direct Access is not a copycat of Phase Express. We are in the same business. Should I avoid implementing a feature that my user request because it's something already available in PhraseExpress? It doesn't really make sense to me.
I didn't want to mention that but you have "copied" as you said some features of Direct Access and included in Phrase Express: for example, the ability to launch the email client.
Another strange thing I notices is that soon after we published the autocorrection dictionaries in many languages on our website, they appeared on yours too.

So, please don't talk to me about ethics. It just seems to me that you have no idea of what business competition is. I don't think that Donation coder people will appreciate "your business ethics".

bmms:
Should I avoid implementing a feature that my user request because it's something already available in PhraseExpress?
--- End quote ---

Certainly not. But I have difficulties to believe that your users only demand exactly the feature list of PhraseExpress. Or that they demand to use identical hotkey associations as in PhraseExpress. :-\

for example, the ability to launch the email client.
--- End quote ---

Do you mean our #run or the #mail macro? Both included in PhraseExpress since v3 released in early 2006. :P

Another strange thing I notices is that soon after we published the autocorrection dictionaries in many languages on our website, they appeared on yours too.

--- End quote ---

Funny, that you bring on this one. Not that we or you invented AutoCorrect but here we go:

PhraseExpress AutoCorrect library download offer, dated 06/2007 as verified at Archive.org -> Link

Would you please tell the audience when you put on your first AutoCorrect library?  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version