ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows editors - do they have to be so bad?

<< < (15/20) > >>

Jussi Jumppanen:
Excuse me, but I am running the five year old version 3.94a and now you're at 3.96r?
--- End quote ---

Zeus is actually at 3.96s ;)

That change is in the SECOND DECIMAL PLACE of the revision number. That's supposed to be MAJOR?
--- End quote ---

Zeus has never really had a MAJOR version number. The first and last MAJOR version number was back in the days of 3.0 when the editor was completely re-written when compared to the earlier 2.75 version.

After that point releases came out ever 8-10 months and with each new release the first decimal place of the version was incremented.

Move on 9 years using this approach and there is no more room to increment the version number and the version number can't go to 4.0 since there are no plans to re-write the current 3.x code base :(

So solution was to move the version increment to the second decimal place.

Now that also worked for a while (i.e. 3.91, 3.92, 3.93, 3.94, 3.95 etc) but it's obvious this scheme is also doomed to fail.

So move on to 2007 and this all has to change. Rather than releasing every 8-10 months, releases are now being done more frequently and to designate the version a letter is added to the version number.

Now while this scheme is also going to run into trouble some time in the future, at least there are a lot more numbers to play with ;)

I am running the five year old version 3.94a
--- End quote ---

While the version number may not have change much, the version 3.96s is nothing like the 3.94a version.

In fact the 3.94a version is so different from the latest Zeus it can be downloaded free of charge from this link:

http://www.zeusedit.com/z300/ze32r394a.zip

It's like a Zeus Lite version ;)

mwb1100:
In fact the 3.94a version is so different from the latest Zeus it can be downloaded free of charge from this link:

http://www.zeusedit.com/z300/ze32r394a.zip

It's like a Zeus Lite version ;)
-Jussi Jumppanen (April 19, 2009, 08:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Jussi:

Thanks for the link. By any chance is there a change history or list of features added since 3.94a so someone using it might now what they are missing out on?

kartal:
I dig it when developers provide detailed list of fixes and changes, that shows that the developer is not lazy, slopy and rather dedicated and disciplined person.

Jussi:

Thanks for the link. By any change is there a change history or list of features added since 3.94a so someone using it might now what they are missing out on?

--- End quote ---

urlwolf:
just tried TED, and it seems it doesn't work on windows server 2008 64. The search function fails; I copy a word from the text, search for it, and it says 'word not found' :)

tide:
Jussi,

You are, of course, free to use whatever version numbering scheme you wish.

All I can tell you is that from this user's perspective and experience I didn’t see real value in upgrading. I upgraded to version 3.94a from 3.93 for which I paid full price less than one year earlier. I regarded the upgrade price to be too high and was very disappointed to find that the two versions were virtually indistinguishable to me.

So versions 3.95 and 3.96 come along and my experience with previous Zeus upgrades tells me the upgrade cost is far too high relative to the improvements and feature set. Can you see how a user might arrive at that conclusion? I suspect you might sell more copies/upgrades if you were to adopt versioning that is more in line with the rest of the world.

I know I would happily have upgraded (at least twice!!) had I perceived value in doing so. Now I just feel left out in the cold.

In any case, thanks for taking the time to explain your position even though it's not one that this customer can agree with.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version