ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows editors - do they have to be so bad?

<< < (11/20) > >>

tranglos:
One thing that I love about KfW is the selective editing: You can specify a target pattern and view only those lines that contain that pattern; you can then edit them as a block or toggle back and forth instantly between full and restricted views. -xtabber (January 16, 2009, 10:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

EditPadPro has already been mentioned a number of times in this thread, and this is yet another thing it can do. Ctrl+F to open the search panel, enter your search pattern and press enter. Then click the "Fold" button to see only the lines containing your pattern. You can still edit the lines when folded, and unfold at any time. There's also a Highlight button to color-code the matches. (Keyboard shortcuts can be assigned to all these functions.)

You can also restrict edits to within vertical columns or inside rectangular blocks, overlay and fill blocks, etc.
-xtabber (January 16, 2009, 10:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

EditPad Pro does have rectangular selection (an option under the Block menu), but it doesn't restrict editing to the marked area. Typing inside a rectangular block will replace the selection, which usualy produces something of a mayhem.

Em Editor does a little better with rectangular selection: whatever you type in one will be repeated in all selected lines. Useful e.g. to prepend a comment character to several lines. But Em Editor doesn't fold the text to show only matching lines.

xtabber:
I actually bought EditPadPro recently because there are times when I want to use a stream-oriented editor reather than a line-oriented editor like Kedit, and it seemed to have the best combination of features along with excellent speed and a light footprint, unlike some of the other editors I have worked with (e.g., SlickEdit).  Although I haven't given it a good workout yet, I find it very impressive so far and am very happy with the choice.

That said, folding in EditPadPro is not at all the same as selective editing in Kedit, because folding affects only the display, not the underlying document. In Kedit, you can restrict the editing scope to the visible lines, so that when you mark a rectangular block in the displayed text and copy that block elsewhere, the copied block will contain only the text that was visible in the restricted display. With folded text, the hidden lines would be included in the copy. You can also incrementally add or remove lines from the restricted display by specifying additional targets.

Restricting editing allows you to do things like right or left justify the contents of a rectangular block without affecting the text on the same lines outside of the block. These capabilities make Kedit an unequalled tool for editing flat file ascii databases and tabular data.  On the other hand, you can't search for a pattern that spans multiple lines, as you can in a stream-oriented editor, which is one reason I sometimes need one of the latter.

mwb1100:
There's an editor I have not heard of before coming up on BDJ in a few days - HippoEDIT (can't say I'm fond of the name, but that doesn't really matter): 

* http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/hippoedit/

* http://www.hippoedit.com/
It seems interesting, and the little bit I've put it though it seems worth looking into more (which I don't really have time for at the moment). Does anyone else have any experience with this that they could post?

rjbull:
Speaking up for EmEditor again :)

Its licensing is not per-installation, but per-user.-broken85 (April 12, 2009, 04:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

I read it as per-installation.  Will have to take another look.

Since I bought a License for EmEditor back in version 5 or 6, and it's still good in version 8, it's quite generous :)

--- End quote ---

They're already talking about version 9  ;)

[edit]
Ah, I see the confusion over the license.  EmEditor Web site says:

You must obtain a license for each computer you install the software on. Therefore, a license is needed for each terminal computer on a network, including remote terminal computers. If this software is for personal usage and not installed on corporate computers, you can install up to 5 computers for your use only.
If this software is installed on a portable drive such as a USB drive, one portable drive equals to one computer as described above.

--- End quote ---

I mostly use software at work, so read the license as per-installation for my purposes.  It isn't clear whether buying a license primarily for work, but with one's own money, also confers a right for personal use at home.
[/edit]

broken85:
If you buy it for yourself, and use it for yourself, even if it's on the job, I think (hope) that's still considered personal use. I use EmEditor on my home PC and my laptop, which I also use for work, and that was my assumption based on the license.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version