ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows editors - do they have to be so bad?

<< < (10/20) > >>

widgewunner:

"Get 10 people in a room and you'll have a dozen different opinions on the best text editor!"

That said, here's my 2 cents... EditpadPro +1

Pros: (first answering rjbull's requirements...)

* Auto backups. Yup 5 different schemes.
* Bookmarks - either 10 per file or 10 per project. Sorry, no "Next bookmark" hotkey.
* Handle large number of simultaneously opened file tabs using project tabs (10 project tabs * 10 files per project = 100 all visible!) The tabs stack 2 levels deep with projects on top and files below. (This is one of the main benefits of using projects according to the documentation.)
* Flexible tools integration with configurable stdin/stdout/stderr I/O. (is this what you mean by Filters?)
* Non-volatile marked text supported == persistent selections configuration option.
* Select the word to the right of the cursor - ctrl+shift+rightarrow.More Pros:

* Small footprint and unobtrusive install/uninstall process.
* Portable - can be installed on memory stick with all config in INI file.
* Generous license to the user allows installation on multiple computers.
* Unmatched regex support (no pun intended) - even has variable length lookbehind!
* Use search pattern to highlight all lines having matches and optionally hide (fold) all lines having no match.
* Syntax highlighting schemes completely user programmable using regexs (with a separate application designed to build them.)
* File navigation schemes completely user programmable using regexs (with a separate application designed to build them.)
* Excellent matching brace support where matching brace is auto-highlighted. You can jump back and forth with Ctrl+].
* Many configuration settings are set per-filetype. e.g. You can set a different tab size for C files (4) than for ASM files (8).
* Wordwrapped text is indented to match current line.
* Text "snippets" - hard to describe but easy to get dependent upon.
* Support - Jan Goyvaerts, the one-man-show developer (and keeper of the regular-expressions.info website), responds in a matter of hours to any bugs that pop up. (He's a perfectionist and all his software feels pretty solid to me.)Cons:

* No scripting language support.
* Weak column (block) editing (compared to UltraEdit that is).
* Built-in FTP client does not handle SFTP or FTPS.
* Ctrl+tab cycles linearly through the files - not back to the MRU file.
Can you tell that I really like this editor? FWIW, my editor history... Hollerith punch card machine (FORTRAN!), PDP-11/RT-11/VT100 - KED (more FORTRAN and PDP-11/6502 Assembler), PC/DOS/Win3.x - TurboC/Borland IDE (C and MASM), XTree-Gold built-in (Wordstar-like editor), Win32 - UltraEdit32, and now... EditPadPro/ZTreeWin for general editing and file management, Komodo IDE for PHP/Javascript debugging, Visual C++ 6.0 for C debugging, TopStyle Pro for CSS, and UltraEdit for column mode operations and scripting.

Hi everybody, I'm new here.
  Jeff Roberson :^)

p.s. Komodo Edit/IDE is quite powerful and does work well, but it is what you might call... bloated? - (i.e. it installs more than 7000+ files in 400+ folders totaling more than 150MB!)

p.s.2. And one more thing (and this is what led me to this forum in the first place), if you need some good screencasting software (at a price you can't ignore), Blueberry Software's BB Flashback Express is now free!

kartal:
I am not a programmer, maybe a scripter at best so I do not have huge needs. That is why I thought Komodo edit was neat(also free:)) The only thing I miss is an integrated debugger for Python. For that I just set external python debugger which works ok but  definetely I would have preferred an internal debugger .

mwb1100:
I used the Komodo IDE for a while a year ago at a previous job. My main use for it was Perl scripting, and the thing that made me convince my employer to buy it (Komodo IDE is pretty pricey) was the debugger - I couldn't find anything else that did Perl debugging so easily and nicely, especially for someone like me who is not particularly experienced with Perl.

Unfortunately, Komodo Edit does not have the debugger, and I don't think I have enough experience with it (particularly for Python) to out-and-out recommend it.  But,

* the search capabilities are quite good
* ActiveState provides good support (I think this extends to Komodo Edit, too)
* it's free, so give it a spin and see if it grabs you

rjbull:
EditpadPro +1
Pros: (first answering rjbull's requirements...)

Bookmarks - either 10 per file or 10 per project. Sorry, no "Next bookmark" hotkey.
-widgewunner (April 11, 2009, 11:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's quite important.  How am I supposed to remember which hotkey is assigned to which bookmark?  I wouldn't mind if "next bookmark" could be a macro rather than a native feature.  10 bookmarks per file is a bit meagre (same in Boxer), though in practice I'd try to minimise the number.

Flexible tools integration with configurable stdin/stdout/stderr I/O. (is this what you mean by Filters?)
--- End quote ---

EditPad Pro actually has what I mean by filters  :)  it's on the Web site.

Portable - can be installed on memory stick with all config in INI file.
Generous license to the user allows installation on multiple computers.
--- End quote ---

I noticed that.  EmEditor is cheaper, Boxer more expensive, and both of them are single-installation licenses.  Both of them can be made portable, but I'd (much) rather have EditPad Pro's more generous approach.

Text "snippets" - hard to describe but easy to get dependent upon.
--- End quote ---

That's not unique, but appears to be particularly well implemented.

No scripting language support.
--- End quote ---

I'm not a coder, and don't really want to have to learn Java or whatever...  I'd like it to have its own simple macro language, with editable files.  I understand it currently uses all-but-impenetrable INI files, which is a pity.

Actually, I regret not purchasing an EditPad Pro license when it was on Bits du Jour...  but I have a reminder running in case it turns up a second time   :)

broken85:
Speaking up for EmEditor again :)

Its licensing is not per-installation, but per-user. They actually apparently offer two types of licensing; per-user (one user, many computers) or per-computer (one machine, many users). My license is per-user, and the license allows you to install it on 5 machines (no activation or anything, just a key code check).

Since I bought a License for EmEditor back in version 5 or 6, and it's still good in version 8, it's quite generous :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version