ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows editors - do they have to be so bad?

<< < (8/20) > >>

jack99999:
yes, the  EmEditor looks good there. for real files, would the tabs be varying sizes, to match the length of the file names?

jack

Dirhael:
yes, the  EmEditor looks good there. for real files, would the tabs be varying sizes, to match the length of the file names?

jack
-jack99999 (February 02, 2009, 02:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, by default it does just that...but you have a few other choices as well :)

Windows editors - do they have to be so bad?

jack99999:
very nice.

i'm not changing though :D

i looked on the web site, just in case there was a free version... i can't see one. and at home i use linux these days and i couldn't see a linux version either.

thanks

jack

rjbull:
Just curious.  How did Windows spoil VDE?  It's advertised as running fine on Windows systems up to and including XP.
-mrainey (February 02, 2009, 01:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Windows spoiled everything, arriving on my desktop not long after I'd finally got the most productive system I ever had, DOS, NDOS, QEMM, and DESQview.  But that assumes that a) you don't need graphics (I didn't, and still don't do much with them) and b) you don't need the Internet, where everything now is graphics-heavy.  At the time, everything I did was text.

VDE works well under Windows up to XP.  I don't have anything later, and understand that 64-bit Windows doesn't support 16-bit programs.  VDE even has limited LFN support, and can communicate with the clipboard via a macro that uses a free third-party tool, Horst Schaeffer's ClipText.  But when I have to do a LOT of clipboard access, and keep swapping between Windows programs, a native Windows editor is usually easier.

Besides, I very nearly have Darwin's Disease - grab every software in sight   :(

mitzevo:
I don't see how [most] Windows (oh..text) editors [that you had tried] not having the features you specifically wanted are so bad. Your requirements are  not really cattered to from your findings so far .. no?

;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version