ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows editors - do they have to be so bad?

<< < (4/20) > >>

TucknDar:
Don't know if it does all you want, but EditPadPro has a block select feature, where you press Ctrl+Shift+B to set a "start point" for your selection, then go to the end of wherever you want to select, press Ctrl+Shift+E and voilĂ : selected! It's not exactly what you were looking for, I realize, but at least you don't need to do all the scrolling.
-TucknDar (January 16, 2009, 03:13 PM)
--- End quote ---
Actually, EditPadPro has something called "persistent selections" which means you can select something and don't lose selection when moving the text cursor.

Guess I still have a lot to learn about this text editor :-[

muntealb:
I've just been looking at a few more Windows editors. 
I looked at (freeware) Metapad, TED Notepad (great little editor), Crimson Editor (nice), PSPad, Notetab Light, PFE, Editor2, ConTEXT, and briefly at (payware) Boxer. 
Compare this with WordStar-style editors.  You drop a Start Block marker with Control-K,B (^KB).  You can use ^QF Find to locate a target point, or ^QM/^Q1 to go to a bookmark - and the Start Block marker is unaffected while you do so.  When you've marked what you want, you drop an End Block marker with ^KK and the block is locked as a unit.  You can still whizz around the file without affecting your marked area.  It only becomes unmarked when you make a deliberate action to unmark it.  That's a far more efficient way than Notepad-style for handling text.  True, I believe Boxer and TED Notepad both have limited work-arounds, but not as good.
Do Windows editors really have to be so bad?  So much worse than my favourite WordStar-style DOS editor, VDE, at handling text?
Of course, WordStar is One True True Way for writers: here's author Robert Sawyer's manifesto on the subject.
-rjbull (January 16, 2009, 08:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

EditPad Pro has a setting that automatically allows to use the shortcuts from Wordstar.

Options>Configure Toolbars and Menus>Keyboard Shortcuts>General Settings for Shortcuts>Use navigation keys from Wordstar>Apply Shortcuts from Wordstar

AbteriX:
www.HippoEDIT.com
    * Automatic back-ups
    * Bookmarks
    * Edit multiple files (tabbed interface?)
    * Ability to specify filters as external user tools    " is planed to implement"http://forum.hippoedit.com/index.php/topic,91.0.html
I would like to suggest an option for tools
to catch the output of an command line tool
and replace the text in current open document (or the selected part)
with this output.

thanks a for a suggestion for a feature. It was already on my list, but havent time yet to do it. But definitly would do.
--- End quote ---
http://forum.hippoedit.com/index.php/topic,134.msg476.html#msg476
But some kind of command bar, where you can enter commands from keyboard in verbal form with paramters etc is a good idea.
Especially when you would think about macro recorder etc, where such functinality would be necessary also.
And about this I can think and place into my todo
--- End quote ---

* marking text, "Edit > Selection > Lock"  and  "Edit > Selection > Restore"

---

www.PSPad.com
    * Automatic back-ups