ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows editors - do they have to be so bad?

<< < (3/20) > >>

f0dder:
According to him most (if not all) IDE's may not even kiss the feet from Eclipse so to speak.-Shades (January 16, 2009, 09:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
Eclipse is a very decent IDE, especially considering that it's free. Saying that other IDEs can't "kiss it's feet" is a bit of a stretch though, Visual Studio is very powerful. However, it does by default lack the refactorings that Eclipse offer, for which you'll have to purchase Visual Assist (next version of VS is apparently going to have refactorings, though). Also, things seem to be a bit less integrated and a bit more clumsy when using Eclipse for C++ development compared to the ease of Java.

Not even the 2007 version of Borlands product. He also concluded that .Net = .Not-Shades (January 16, 2009, 09:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
Seems interesting that he uses Java but says ".Net = .Not"... what does he base that on? Java definitely has it's problems (like, parts of it's class libraries having horrible design - date/calendar functions being a really obvious WTF).

cranioscopical:
The best line-oriented editor for PCs is probably Kedit for Windows, an emulation of IBM's XEDIT mainframe editing environment. It's not likely to be anyone's only editor, but it provides capabilities unmatched by any other that I know of.
-xtabber (January 16, 2009, 10:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

+!  for Kedit  :Thmbsup:

Shades:
[off-topic]
Hehe, I do remember him complaining about the date functions at some point in time. C/C++ you can develop on any platform, Java as well, .NET only on Windows (Mono is a 'band aid' in its current incarnations).

He can really go on (in a funny way) about which student is getting a chance to work/learn for his outfit. From those stories I understand that he poses little problems to them and asks for (programmatic) solutions and that he can (too) easily dig holes through solutions made by ('fresh') .NET programmers.
[/off-topic]

+1 for UltraEdit

40hz:
I wonder why some people are so obsessed with SlickEdit... -f0dder (January 16, 2009, 06:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Couldn't tell you. I use Notepad++ on Windows and KEdit on NIX. :Thmbsup:

f0dder:
Hehe, I do remember him complaining about the date functions at some point in time. C/C++ you can develop on any platform, Java as well, .NET only on Windows (Mono is a 'band aid' in its current incarnations).-Shades (January 17, 2009, 12:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
There's some truth to that - but from the project page, it seems like Mono has gotten quite far. And while Java is available for a lot of platforms, it isn't write-once-run-everywhere portable, unfortunately. Especially not in the field of cellular phone apps/games :)

He can really go on (in a funny way) about which student is getting a chance to work/learn for his outfit. From those stories I understand that he poses little problems to them and asks for (programmatic) solutions and that he can (too) easily dig holes through solutions made by ('fresh') .NET programmers.-Shades (January 17, 2009, 12:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
Sounds pretty elitist. As if any fresh-outta-school programmer doesn't have a lot of holes in their knowledge/experience... your friend probably tries extra hard against dotNET programmers? :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version