ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows editors - do they have to be so bad?

<< < (19/20) > >>

Jussi Jumppanen:
Is Zeus portable, i.e. can you run it off of a USB stick?
-wraith808 (April 24, 2009, 08:27 AM)
--- End quote ---
I not really sure :-\

My guess is the software will run off the USB stick (i.e just copy the install file to the stick) but it definitely won't be 100% portable.

The exe will always make sure a a handful of registry entries exists on the machine so it will access the registry when run.

Jussi Jumppanen:
Jussi Jumppanen,

Is it possible to get Python shell in Zeus(for interactive purposes)?-kartal (April 26, 2009, 01:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

There is no interactive Python mode in Zeus, but you might be able configure a pseudo interactive mode by adding a Zeus tool item that runs the python script via the tee utility (i.e. run python + script via tee inside of Zeus as a tool):

http://www.zeusedit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=74

It would be even better if Ipython would run inside Zeus instead of standard python shell.
--- End quote ---

Since Zeus is c/c++ and Ipython is .Net this is not really possible.

urlwolf:
I don't think Ipython is .Net. It work on linux, and lives in launchpad :) , cannot be .net :)
That would be IronPython.

urlwolf:
btw, I encourage anyone to have a look at the beta versions of emeditor. Lots of innovative features coming.

mnemonic:
Whilst I agree that EmEditor is progressing really well, the whole plug-in system *really* irks me.  The main reason is the lack of stacking of windows and the fact the a side panel has to be open for that plug-in to be active.

For example, to have code folding active, you need to have the outline side panel active, which just takes up valuable screen space.

Or, if you want the symbol list, you also need to have the project side panel on screen.  As these cannot be stacked, that means side panels on both the left and right-hand sides of the screen.

To have code folding and the symbol list available, you need the project side-panel on the left, the symbol list on the right and the outlining panel on the bottom.  That's a lot of monitor space on a laptop.

Or, am I missing something?

Edit: I agree with the responsiveness of the author of EmEditor.  I suggested fullscreen last year and it has now been added.  It also seems that the stacking of windows is on the list of planned developments - "Ability to make plug-in custom bars "dockable" or displayed in tabs."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version