ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows editors - do they have to be so bad?

<< < (2/20) > >>

40hz:
Take a look at SlickEdit.

http://www.slickedit.com/

Not cheap ($299), but several heavy-duty pro coders of my acquaintance swear by it. Supposedly, there's nothing it can't do.

There's a 30-day trial available on the website.

TucknDar:
Don't know if it does all you want, but EditPadPro has a block select feature, where you press Ctrl+Shift+B to set a "start point" for your selection, then go to the end of wherever you want to select, press Ctrl+Shift+E and voilĂ : selected! It's not exactly what you were looking for, I realize, but at least you don't need to do all the scrolling.

f0dder:
I wonder why some people are so obsessed with SlickEdit... it basically falls flat between a text editor and an IDE, not really knowing what it wants to be. It's too bloated for a text editor, and lacks the functionality you'd expect of a decent IDE. The pricetag certainly can't be justified when there's freeware editors like Notepad++, IDEs like Eclipse, and the free Microsoft Visual Studio Express...

Shades:
My friend, a die hard C/C++ developer recently moved from Borland C Builder 6 to their 2007 version. In the mean time he build a complete back-end software for member based banks (cooperativas) here in South America using Java and Eclipse. According to him most (if not all) IDE's may not even kiss the feet from Eclipse so to speak. Not even the 2007 version of Borlands product. He also concluded that .Net = .Not

Disclaimer: I'm no programmer, nor have I the desire to become one. From personal experience, it is quite intimidating (in a positive way) what power lies in Eclipse and its possibilities for expansion.

xtabber:
Word processors and most text editors today work on a stream buffer principle - a single stream of text is interpreted and reformatted into lines on-screen. But there is another approach with roots in the IBM mainframe world: line-oriented editors in which each line of text is a separate record in a linked list. Line-oriented editors have certain limitations which make them unsuitable for some purposes (e.g., searching for multiline patterns) but they have many other benefits.

The best line-oriented editor for PCs is probably Kedit for Windows, an emulation of IBM's XEDIT mainframe editing environment. It's not likely to be anyone's only editor, but it provides capabilities unmatched by any other that I know of. One thing that I love about KfW is the selective editing: You can specify a target pattern and view only those lines that contain that pattern; you can then edit them as a block or toggle back and forth instantly between full and restricted views. You can also restrict edits to within vertical columns or inside rectangular blocks, overlay and fill blocks, etc.  Persistent blocks are independent of selected text so you can use both at the same time. KfWt operates entirely in RAM and is exceptionally fast.

KfW has all the capabilities asked for by the OP, although for the ability to use filters as external user tools, you would have to learn to use REXX, which is probably the least intuitive scripting language ever devised.

The Mansfield Software Group, which publishes Kedit, had planned to cease operations last year, but there apparently is still enough demand for it that they have decided to continue selling and supporting it through 2009.  KfW costs $129. You can get a demo version from their web site which is fully functional but will only save the first 75 lines of a file.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version