ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows editors - do they have to be so bad?

<< < (12/20) > >>

Eóin:
My understanding was that the spirit of a personal license versus commercial comes into play if it is the company that is buying it versus an individual. But the specifics are usually a bit ambiguous in most cases.

Jussi Jumppanen:
I've just been looking at a few more Windows editors. Originally, I
 was looking for these features:

Automatic back-ups
 Bookmarks
 Edit multiple files (tabbed interface?)
--- End quote ---

Zeus has all these feature: http://www.zeusedit.com

Ability to specify filters as external user tools (most seem  to unable to cope with redirection symbols)
--- End quote ---
I am not exactly sure what you mean by a redirection filter?

When the editor runs an external tool it will put in it's own hook to capture the output. If you redirect this output there will be nothing for the editor to capture.

In almost all the Windows editors I've seen, you have to use the mouse, or Shift-arrow keys, to mark text.
--- End quote ---

Zeus has several marking options including line, block, column, ragged or cua marking modes.

The marking can be done using just the keyboard, just the mouse or a combination of both.

If you press almost any other key, you lose the marked area and have to start again.
--- End quote ---

This is a Windows standard so I suspect that is why most windows editors do this. But in Zeus this is configurable.

Compare this with WordStar-style editors.
--- End quote ---

FWIW Zeus has a WordStar keyboard emulation mode.

True, I believe Boxer and TED Notepad both have limited work-arounds, but not as good.
--- End quote ---
If the Zeus WordStar emulation is broken then I would suggest reporting it as a bug to the Zeus forum:

http://www.zeusedit.com/forum

Do Windows editors really have to be so bad?
--- End quote ---

Definitely not and I don't think all of them are ;)

Jussi Jumppanen
Author: Zeus for Windows IDE

allen:
There's an editor I have not heard of before coming up on BDJ in a few days - HippoEDIT (can't say I'm fond of the name, but that doesn't really matter): 

* http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/hippoedit/

* http://www.hippoedit.com/
It seems interesting, and the little bit I've put it though it seems worth looking into more (which I don't really have time for at the moment). Does anyone else have any experience with this that they could post?
-mwb1100 (April 13, 2009, 12:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've been playing with it a bit, and wow -- it's *really* powerful, really extensible; actively devolped and has an active support forum.  For 15 bucks, it'd be a shame not to add this to my text editor collection.

wraith808:
I've been playing with it too, and I might pick it up for $15 bucks.  To me, at least, it doesn't have any features to make it stand out from the crowd, but I'm a sucker for cheap software that does what it does well.

rjbull:
If you buy it for yourself, and use it for yourself, even if it's on the job, I think (hope) that's still considered personal use. I use EmEditor on my home PC and my laptop, which I also use for work, and that was my assumption based on the license.
-broken85 (April 13, 2009, 04:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Here's what's in the Help file for EmEditor 8.04:

You must obtain a license for each computer you install the software on. Therefore, a license is needed for each terminal computer on a network, including remote terminal computers. If this software is for personal usage and not installed on corporate computers, you can install up to 5 computers for your use only.
If this software is installed on a portable drive such as a USB drive, one portable drive equals to one computer as described above

--- End quote ---

Which I read to mean that I have to treat it as a single-installation license because I use it at work, even though I paid my own money.

Quoting Eóin:
But the specifics are usually a bit ambiguous in most cases.

--- End quote ---

You never typed a truer word...

Hmmm, time to contact Emurasoft.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version