ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows editors - do they have to be so bad?

<< < (7/20) > >>

rjbull:
i think that you should invest the time in learning an editor that is flexible enough to do whatever you want.
-jack99999 (February 01, 2009, 04:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

I already did.  It's VDE, my DOS editor.  Then Windows came along and spoiled everything 

you can go round thousands of editors and there will always be some feature missing. my personal editing environment is flexible enough to change to match the different things i want to do, so i've been using it for many years.

--- End quote ---

I realise I'll probably have to implement some things by macros, but would like to have everything pretty much on a plate before I start having to wrestle with yet another scripting language.

jack99999:
yes, i can sympathize with that.

just to make you certain that you'd hate the scripting in my emacs, here's a short function to load many files:

--- Code: Text ---(defun load-many-files    (        ~files (get-tty-file "load all these files:  ")        ~recursive (get-tty-string "recursive? (y/n) [N] ")    )    ~target        (if (= ~recursive "y")         (setq ~target (expand-file-name-recursive ~files))        (setq ~target (expand-file-name ~files))    )                           ; if    (save-window-excursion        (while (!= ~target "")            (visit-file ~target)            (beginning-of-file)            (sit-for 0)                        (if (= ~recursive "y")                (setq ~target (expand-file-name-recursive ""))                (setq ~target (expand-file-name ""))            )                   ; if                    )                               ; while    )                           ; save-window-excursion)                               ; defun - load-many-files

jack

rjbull:

--- ---[quote author=jack99999 link=topic=16622.msg149276#msg149276 date=1233573958]
just to make you certain that you'd hate the scripting in my emacs, here's a short function to load many files:

I appreciate you can make emacs do just about anything you want to that can be done with a computer, give or take a dishwasher interface, but yes, I wouldn't want to tangle with that level of scripting to do it.  Just need to get the job done with tools as ready-made as possible, even if I have to paper over the cracks eventually.

broken85:
Update: Sorry, for some reason assumed the attached images would be thumbnailed. Trying to see if I can change the attachments to thumbnails that link to the big ones. My bad :)

Just a note, EmEditor handles 100+ tabs (in one or multiple windows) very well:

It also closes them intelligently if you're not a fan of making 100+ clicks:

My favorite thing about it is that when I reinstall Windows or put it on a new machine, I can just install it and go. It already looks intuitive and offers a lot of customization and features/plugins without needing to script, but you don't even need them most of the time. The default interface, options (and plugin list for Pro users) is sufficient for almost everything I need.

mrainey:
I already did.  It's VDE, my DOS editor.  Then Windows came along and spoiled everything
--- End quote ---

Just curious.  How did Windows spoil VDE?  It's advertised as running fine on Windows systems up to and including XP.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version