ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Switching to Linux for a week

<< < (2/8) > >>

Darwin:
hmm I can't open that page, I get error messages from wordpress.
-housetier (January 13, 2009, 04:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Strange, so do I, now. It was fine an hour ago.

zridling:
Nice to see she was finally won over, but Day One was a disaster of her own making. I read that and thought, "Oh hell girl, you're just trying to frick it up, c'mon!" Install an OS to an external drive?!

Also, I wish she had tried something/anything other than Ubuntu. It's nice, but for all Windows users, please don't think that Linux = Ubuntu. It doesn't. Mepis, PCLinuxOS, sidux, and openSUSE all would have saved her from her Day One meltdown.

40hz:
Website seems to be working now. If anybody wants to read it and can't get the page I can send you a PDF copy (325kb). Send me a PM if you want it. :Thmbsup:

Also, I wish she had tried something/anything other than Ubuntu.
-zridling (January 13, 2009, 05:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

I personally prefer Xubuntu if you're going to go with Mr. Shuttleworth's product line.

But yeah, PCLinuxOS, Mandriva or Mephis would have been better choices for a first time tryout.

But you still have to admire somebody who tried Linux way back when it was a bigger challenge than it is today, and offered the following comment about the experience:

We had no idea what to do, and it was exciting.

Full points for heart right there! ;D

8)

Darwin:
I finally got around to reading it in its entirety and loved it  :Thmbsup: Very funny and very informative. Thanks again for pointing the way to it, 40hz  :)

urlwolf:
I still think trying linux for a week is bound to fail. You need long-term commitment for that to work out well. In a week you will not learn enough to see the advantages, and you sure as hell will see the downside.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version