ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Switching to Linux for a week

<< < (8/8)

40hz:
Thanks for the tip, Paul. I'm currently downloading Sidux as well as Debian Lenny as I've seen quite a few good reports about it.
I'll install it and see if it whups some pants on Xubuntu... er, that is after I get around to giving OpenSolaris a go...  :-[

-Edvard (January 19, 2009, 04:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sidux?
Lenny??
OpenSolaris???!!!

(Here's your special case badge, Ed... You've earned it!)

8)

Edvard:
Dude, you ain't seen the half...

P.S. - I have since added Plan 9 and Mac OS9 to that list >:D

40hz:
Dude, you ain't seen the half...

P.S. - I have since added Plan 9 and Mac OS9 to that list >:D
-Edvard (January 19, 2009, 06:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

OMG - Plan 9?

My, my, my...you are an OS  connoisseur! A man after my own heart, you is! :Thmbsup:

Check out Haiku and ReactOS when you get a chance (or some disk space :P) if you haven't already ;D

http://www.haiku-os.org
http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html

Edvard:
I have been following HaikuOS off-and-on since BeOS was sold to Palm (I even signed the petition to open the BeOS source code), and so far only unstable testing images are available for it.
ReactOS has never been out of Alpha, despite 8 years of development.
I may be a maverick when the mood strikes me, but not that much.

However, I think I will give them a whirl just cause you asked...  :Thmbsup:

40hz:
However, I think I will give them a whirl just cause you asked...  :Thmbsup
-Edvard (January 20, 2009, 10:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Don't waste your time. Haiku still isn't really usable at this stage of the game. A better choice would be Zevenos ( www.zevenos.com ) :

What is ZevenOS ?

ZevenOS is a GNU/Linux Distribution with a focus on a fast and easy to use system with a touch of BeOS.

Since 2001 BeOS is no longer developed. We took some of the main advantages of BeOS and integrated them into our distribution

Including i.e. :

– Performance
– Compatibility and Ability to run on old Hardware
– Easy to use Interface (oriented at BeOS)

--- End quote ---

As far as ReactOS goes, I try to stay on top of what they're doing, but I still think they're doomed in the long run. Gotta admire their determination however.

They deserve the Dom Quixote de la Mancha Award for tilting at Microsoft's windmills!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version