ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for random map generator.

<< < (3/4) > >>

steeladept:
May be a little late here, but I was just looking at the various proposals, and while I only started, I must say for your plans, something like primap MapCreator 2.0 personal might be very useful - especially if you just take a cut of any part of the world as shown, export it to one of the formats, then run it through some sort of picture distortion software.  That would allow you to start with all the terrain features from any given part of the world and change them semi-randomly so it doesn't look like our world as we know it at all.  Just a thought.

Jimdoria:
This might be a little wide of what you're after, but you might want to look at Terragen which is a photorealistic landscape generator. You can use the program to generate random "terrains" then modify them, combine them, etc.

Even if you never use the photorealistic rendering options, it could be a nice creativity booster.

Ordstrin:
So much advice!
I'm positively swimming in advice now!
Thank you all. I'm sure there's a solution here by now *looks at all the posts and calmly puts eyes in again after they pop out*
Once again, thank you all.
~Ordstrin

raybeere:
I just stumbled across FracPlanet, and thought of this thread. Before you read the page, see that it was written for Linux, and despair - note that it has been ported to Java so there is a platform-independent version available. There is a link to that page, or search on TerraJ - and good luck!

PaladinMJ:
There used to be a tool called: "Campaign Cartographer". It's intended use was for tabletop game campaigns, like Dungeons and Dragons, Warhammer, etc.

This one was rather costly the last time I looked at it (which is easily 8 years ago) but it was a CAD program with a lot of libraries for terrain, their associated vegetation and also habitation. All to be used at your own discretion.

It is good to see that the software survived all this time, it has expanded quite a lot(!)...the mapmaker alone is 45 USD but if you want "the whole shebang" it will cost 537 USD. The package deal is way overkill for your intends and purposes.

Actually I should thank you for a trip to memory lane when researching this piece of software  :)
-Shades (January 10, 2009, 06:40 PM)
--- End quote ---
I own CC3 Pro and I can tell you it is AWESOMENESS incarnate.you can make any maptype you want from topographical to star maps, floor plans to zone planning to street level. you can even make your own "symbols". the rub: has a steep steep learning curve to get good results.

How ever the company is FANTASTIC about communicating and helping the users. The dev's are all over the mailing lists asking for improvements that we need or helping us figure out how to reach a goal. Its a commercial version of DC almost hehehe

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version