ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

windows 7 beta available for free Jan 9 (!)

<< < (32/33) > >>

40hz:
I would (I have a 4G usb stick I can spare) but my box doesn't boot the usb. I've looked around for ways to make Grub boot the usb port and floppy-based usb booters, but nothing has worked so far.
-Edvard (January 15, 2009, 05:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

You can only boot to a device your BIOS supports and identifies as bootable. AFAIK there isn't any way to get around that.

In Win7, if your BIOS supports booting to your USB stick, the Mark Partition as Active option will be available:

In this case, the 4Gb USB stick showing up as Disk 1 is not supported as a bootable device. (Bummer! >:()

f0dder:
You could probably install grub/whatever on a floppy or MBR, and use that to boot from external media, though?

Dirhael:
I would (I have a 4G usb stick I can spare) but my box doesn't boot the usb. I've looked around for ways to make Grub boot the usb port and floppy-based usb booters, but nothing has worked so far.
-Edvard (January 15, 2009, 05:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

You can only boot to a device your BIOS supports and identifies as bootable. AFAIK there isn't any way to get around that.

In Win7, if your BIOS supports booting to your USB stick, the Mark Partition as Active option will be available:
 (see attachment in previous post)
In this case, the 4Gb USB stick showing up as Disk 1 is not supported as a bootable device. (Bummer! >:()
-40hz (January 15, 2009, 06:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's not always true, because I have at least two memory sticks that I can't set as active in Windows disk management yet I have absolutely no problems booting from them when I need to. Of course, the BIOS needs to allow you to select the device if you are to boot from it, but what Windows itself says does not really matter.

40hz:
That's not always true, because I have at least two memory sticks that I can't set as active in Windows disk management yet I have absolutely no problems booting from them when I need to. Of course, the BIOS needs to allow you to select the device if you are to boot from it, but what Windows itself says does not really matter.
-Dirhael (January 15, 2009, 08:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Bingo! You are absolutely correct. I should have stopped after my first sentence:

--- End quote ---

In my eagerness to give an example with Win7, I screwed up royally.

Thanks for catching my error. :Thmbsup:

You could probably install grub/whatever on a floppy or MBR, and use that to boot from external media, though?
-f0dder (January 15, 2009, 07:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes. And traditionally, that's the way it used to be done.

But a floppy is a BIOS bootable device, as is the MBR. So you're really not booting off the USB if the initial bootloader is someplace else right? Isn't that more like a workaround?

Still, it does work,  so I guess that's one way of "booting" Win7 from a USB key without really booting from it. ;D

mahesh2k:
I'm not sure people here agree with me. But i think microsoft is moving towards Opensource and Free software movement slowly. Heroes happen here program and Windows 7 as free download is proof of it i think.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version