ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

windows 7 beta available for free Jan 9 (!)

<< < (29/33) > >>

Deozaan:
For those interested here's a list of windows 7 keyboard shortcuts.
-majorspacecase (January 14, 2009, 11:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks! That's useful.

Edvard:
Has anybody tried to nlite this? I was dismayed to realize that after a 2.5 Gig download, I suddenly came to the brilliant conclusion that I would have to burn this on a DVD not a CD. :wallbash:

I guess what I'm asking is if the ISO is really that contrapulated or is there a bunch of cruft that can be stripped out to get it down to CD size?

40hz:
Has anybody tried to nlite this? I was dismayed to realize that after a 2.5 Gig download, I suddenly came to the brilliant conclusion that I would have to burn this on a DVD not a CD. :wallbash:

I guess what I'm asking is if the ISO is really that contrapulated or is there a bunch of cruft that can be stripped out to get it down to CD size?
-Edvard (January 14, 2009, 01:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ooooo! Now that's a thought. I'll have to give that a spin since I seem to recall reading somewhere that vLite is supposed to work with Win7.

(I also wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft left a lot of debug code in the beta since it is a beta. If so, vLite won't be able to do much about that.)

40hz:
Interesting post up on gHacks.

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/01/14/turn-any-usb-flash-drive-or-hdd-into-a-bootable-windows-7-instal/

Turn any USB flash drive or HDD into a bootable Windows 7 installer

This little gem managed to slip through the cracks, but now that you've all had a chance to get your hands on the Windows 7 beta iso, it's definitely worth sharing.

In November Long Zheng - all around smartypants and good guy - released a handy tutorial on turning the PDC hard drive that Windows 7 was being distributed on at the time into a bootable installer. As luck would have it, he discovered that the process works with any old drive.

It's a pretty simple procedure. Create an active partition on your USB drive if there's not one there already. Mount your Windows 7 iso with a utility like Daemon Tools Lite, and copy the complete contents of the "disc" onto your drive. That's it. Reboot and force your PC to boot to the USB device, and you should be ready to install.

You should be able to pull the same thing off with Vista as well by following the same steps.
--- End quote ---

Here's the direct link to Long Zheng's how-to mentioned in the above article:

http://www.istartedsomething.com/20081104/tip-make-your-pdc-2008-usb-hard-drive-a-bootable-windows-7-install-disk/

f0dder:
40Hz: how on earth is that going to work if you having installed a bootsector on the USB device? Formatting doesn't do that by default...

Would be interesting trying to vLite Win7 - might be possible since it's based on Vista. It already has a lower install footprint than a standard Vista install, though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version