ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

windows 7 beta available for free Jan 9 (!)

<< < (23/33) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Just lacks transparency and there are none of the magic preview-thumbnails in the taskbar.

Ehtyar:
Yes, but I'll need to download the 32-bit version to run it in most of the VM solutions available and, AFAICT, in any of the free/cheap options.-Darwin (January 11, 2009, 11:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not necessarily so, VirtualBox now supports 64bit guests if you have VT-x or AMD-V.
-Eóin (January 11, 2009, 12:16 PM)
--- End quote ---
As does VMWare (VirtualBox ftw). VirtualPC sucks ;)

Ehtyar.

Deozaan:
So VirtualPC 2007 doesn't support 64-bit OSes at all? I thought it just wouldn't let me install a 64-bit VM on a 32-bit host OS.

Carol Haynes:
VirtualPC is a pretty pointless toy in comparison with other solutions (at least the free version - it doesn't even support USB).

f0dder:
Interesting, my Vista (1st drive) didn't show up either. A part me just put it down to a purposeful decision by MS to prevent 7 messing up another installation without you expressly allowing access to it. But I have no backing for that, just a hunch.
-Eóin (January 11, 2009, 11:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
Perhaps it hides the partition that contains the BCD? On my vmware install, Win7 insisted on creating a separate 200meg partition for that stuff, and didn't assign it a drive letter. Curious to see what this partition contained, I assigned a drive letter to it myself... which Win7 then wouldn't let me unmap, doh!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version